Risk of removing vinyl siding

jenangelcatJuly 8, 2008

After reading a couple of threads about the evils of vinyl siding over the old wood siding I decided to have a little looksie under my vinyl. We have a window that was sided over but not recovered from the inside so I could kinda see from there. We definitely have wood siding under the vinyl and it appears to be green.

No idea how long the vinyl's been up, it's in pretty good condition, it's just a hideous colour, cheap looking and doesn't go with the brick that is also on the house.

Can someone point me in the direction of the process of removing the siding, risk vs benefits and what I'd do with the wood siding if we exposed it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

I suggest checking the posts and forums at oldhouseweb.com. Many other old home owners have gone through what you are facing and have posted their experiences.

Good luck and hope you get rid of the vinyl!

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 6:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mom2lilenj

I didn't do it yet with my house, but I did look into what we need to do. Taking vinyl siding off is easy, I've done it by myself, then make sure all the nails are out. Fill in the nail holes with putty and sand flush. Now the hard part, you will probably have to come up with some window trim and corner boards or whatever woodwork was stripped when your house was prepped for vinyl. Depending on if and how your windows were replaced you may need to get some siding too or you may need to reinstall the windows now that you don't have the same wall depth. Then prep for paint (scrape, sand or strip old loose paint), prime if needed and repaint.

I can't imagine any risks involved, but again I haven't actually done it yet.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™