Looking for Rubber Bed Garters

chemteacherJuly 8, 2008

I am in search of a specific type of bed garter to keep the sheets on my bed. The ones I have are older and are in need of replacing. They are similar to the elastic ones sold in Walmart but are much larger and the band is actually a round piece of rubber. Has anyone seen these available anywhere? Stores? Online?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

These from the Vermont Country Store are not exactly what you describe, but they do the job you want done...take a look and see if they work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed garters

    Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 8:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use those straps, too, and they work great - never come off the sheets nor the sheets off the beds and they last for years. I buy them at K-Mart and JCPenney. Have never seen what I imagine you're looking for.

I have both waterbeds and regular beds and use flat sheets and garters, not fitted sheets, for the bottom sheet on all of them.

    Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 8:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I too, am searching for rubber garters to hold the sheet and mattress cover on my free flow / full wave waterbed mattress. I'm not looking for the kind that the people have suggested here.

These are (were) made especially for waterbeds, and I did have some until I moved and the movers lost some of my things.
The bottom of it is a rather large, flat and rounded piece of rubber, which fits under the corner of the mattress (the mattress serves as a 'weight' on it, thus it does not slip out). There is a longish skinny piece of rubber that comes out from the large, flat rounded piece...up over the corner end of the mattress. You place the long piece UNDER the sheet. The opposite end of the long piece is small and round and a "garter" attachment slips in and/or out of it. You take the little round rubber garter piece (which you remove from the skinny end's hole) and place it "on top" of the sheet, and then feeling with your other hand "under" the sheet, you fasten the little round piece into the circular hole, which is "under" the sheet. (same principle as fastening a stocking into a garter) When it's fastened, the weight of the mattress corner holds the large/flat piece down securely, and the sheets NEVER come off.

I've been sleeping on a full wave waterbed for over 25 years due to my back. I bought these at either Sears or Penneys many years ago. But now they are nowhere to be found and I can't understand why, because it was the best invention ever for full wave waterbed mattresses.

The regular elastic kind or any kind which hooks under the corners (such as the others described above) do NOT work with a full wave mattress. (and there is danger of puncture if they are metal!)

All that can be found on the internet now (from waterbed stores/sites) are the straight-stick wedges, that go in the corners. Those pull out also.
Please let me know if anyone knows where to find these!
My search continues.

    Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This might help harmonynpeace. As a thirty five year veteran of selling and servicing waterbeds you might try the following hint. Most folks make a common "mistake" when putting on waterbed sheets whether they use fitted or flat sheets. When you pull your hand straight up to get it out from underneath the tucked corner of the sheet and mattress, much of the sheet comes up with it and it is almost certain to become untucked. Instead, be "sneaky" and slide your hand, with palm still open, along the side of the mattress as you pull your hand out. This motion tends to secure the tucked sheet corner even more instead of pulling it out. After you have done this a few times it becomes second nature and in fact you will need to tug pretty hard to remove your sheets for laundering. I hope that this has helped.

    Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 8:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I used to have so much trouble with sheets coming off my bed, especially on my DH's side. Tried those elastics. About a year ago, I bought a new mattress set, they are the thick set that needs "deep pocket" sheets. These sheets, amazingly, stay put!

    Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have a couple sets of those exact garters -- bought them years and years ago and I agree -- they're great. I know one set came from either Sears or Penneys, but I haven't seen them lately. I use them on summer sheets. For some reason the flannel winter sheets seem to stay better.

    Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 10:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've had those same straps for years! The rubber straps kept breaking and I just shortened them by knotting the end. Then they got too short to do any good. My husband had the great idea of replacing the rubber straps with bungee cords. They work well,except for a small bulge where the cord is knotted. I'd love to find new ones.

    Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I had a set of those, and they were great. They broke over the years, and I have never seen them again.

I tried some made of elastic, and they were not very good.

    Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 7:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I finally found a way to get the sheets to stay on my kids' beds!!! When I bought them flannel sheets for winter, I bought a size too big. I bought King for the Queen bed, and Queen for the Double bed. The bottom sheets are staying on because they go way, way under the matress.

    Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 12:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I found a new type of thing to keep my sheets on my bed and I love them! I found them at Bed,bath and beyond and they are called sheet huggers. They run about $6 for the set and they really keep my sheets on! They look flimsy, but they really work.

    Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Peggy, what do the sheet huggers looks like? In case there is another brand.

    Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 6:18PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
Meet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
I don't think I've ever seen that happen on this particular...
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
What to do with hundreds of CDs
I have nice storage boxes filled with hundreds of CDs...
Sponsored Products
Pocket Watch Wall Clock
$94.95 | Bellacor
Opal Glass and Satin Nickel 29" Wide Ceiling Light Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Thompson Indoor Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Levolor Fabric Vertical Blinds: Linen
Lewisville 29-inch Swivel Bar Stool
Revive Anthracite Vertical Designer Radiator Heater 63 x 9.3 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Spiral Wall Sconce by ET2 Lighting
$84.00 | Lumens
Norah Victorian Copper Slipper Clawfoot Tub
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™