Different flooring affecting resale?

paucieJuly 29, 2008

We're still on the fence about what flooring we want to use in our 1897 kitchen - linoleum or hardwood.

We had an installer come by and give us a quote. I told him what I LIKE (which is wide-planked pine in a dark stain), but also told him I was afraid to use it because it wouldn't match the rest of the hardwood on the first floor.

This installer told me that it was common for there to be different woods used in adjoining rooms of old homes. And, turns out, we have maple and walnut in the LR, and Douglas Fir in the DR and sitting room.

So would a dark pine look okay in the kitchen even though it butts up against the reddish-brown-stained Douglas Fir? And, would that deter future buyers? (We're not planning to sell anytime soon.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gamecock43

I like contrasting rooms. It makes it different, you know you are in a new room. But I have heard people on HGTV complain when the wood color changes.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 11:51PM
jcin_los_angeles

Our 1910 kitchen floor is pine, the rest of the downstairs flooring is oak, and upstairs is maple. Looks good. Don't be afraid to mix wood.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 12:40AM
paucie

jcin - Are those different stains, too? I'd like to go much darker (and less red) than the Douglas Fir flooring.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 5:16AM
Carol_from_ny

What you do in a old house and what you would do in a newer modern house are two different things. In a old house it's totally acceptable and very often expected that flooring is not going to match.
Houses were very often built piece meal. You couldn't always get what you wanted and things ended up mismatched. What it comes down to is what are you willing to live with?

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:29AM
allison1888

I like the wide plank idea, but can you do it in a color/tone that more closely matches the fir? That will go a long way in adding continuity. Yes, you can do different species, but it should all flow.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:13PM
house_vixen

Absolutely agree about mixed woods in old houses. And love our OG fir and oak.

That said, adore having (natural) linoleum in our kitchen -- for our needs, it's great in terms of both looks and maintenance.

Good luck with your decision!

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
TessieQ
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™