Rosh Hashanah!

dcarch7September 6, 2013

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

Made a few things for the occasion, I think. :-) Not much attempt to be authentic. ïÂÂ

Chopped liver, more like liver pate. I used chicken liver. There is nothing special about the recipe, just schmaltz and gribenes in the mix, in addition to other ingredients. The chopped liver was served on home made puffed rice cookies.

And

Sosu vide brisket with sauteed figs, glazed carrots and onion. Fig chutney made from the inside of the figs on the brisket.

L'chaim!

dcarch

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/dcarch/figbrisket3_zps597c0a96.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artsyshell

Beautiful pictures! I'm sure it tasted amazing!

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:02PM
loves2cook4six

Please, please, please tell me how you made the puffed rice cookies.

Chag Sa'meach

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 5:59PM
dcarch7

Thanks ssummerville. Of course it tasted great, it had schmaltz and gribenes in the mix :-).

loves2cook4six, here is the technique I developed for the puffed rice cookies.

1. Cook rice in concentrated chicken stock. Make the rice wetter then you normally would.

2. Let rice cool off and sandwich the rice between two layers of thin plastic veggie bags.

3. Use a rolling pin to roll the rice to about two gains of rice thickness in between the sheets of plastic bag.

4. Lift the top plastic sheet off the rice, and put the rice in dehydrator to completely 100% dry the sheet of rice.

5. cut the dried rice to whatever shape you like and deep fry in very hot oil. The rice will quickly puff up into light, crispy and delicious cookies. Great for snacking too.

dcarch

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 11:25PM
wintercat_gw

dcarch, this is lovely! It's authentic dcarch!

I ended up baking gingerbread for honey cake after 2 Jewish honeycake recipes yielded 2 disasters (the first was cement and the second turned into lava and flooded the oven). My previous attempt at honeycake was 10 years ago and it produced the weirdest bicolor cake because the oil and the coffee divorced each other in the oven.

I've been suspecting for years the oil was the problem, and this year it occurred to me that since I don't keep kosher anyway, I might as well bake gingerbread with butter. It was my first ever gingerbread and it was superb!

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 5:24AM
cloud_swift

Wintercat, I'll confess that I've never found a honey cake that I like even though I like honey. It always seems to have a bitter taste behind the sweetness. On the other hand, I love gingerbread - (for a sweet and spicy new year perhaps?).

We keep kosher and there are cake recipes that work fine with oil. I suspect that the problem was with the recipes, not the oil.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:29PM
gellchom

Gorgeous! What a lovely mold for the liver. My family would plow into it so fast that it would be a waste, though.

We like "baby beef" liver better for chopped liver. But we'd eat every bit of chicken liver, too.

I have a good honey cake recipe. Only one I think is worth it, actually. It uses sour cream. Now that Tofutti makes a very good parve "sour kream," as I write it on my shopping list and in recipes, it's a good choice for RH. If you want the recipe, let me know.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:43PM
dcarch7

Thanks everyone.

The presentation of the liver is in response to a friend who always use the expression, "What am I, Chopped liver?"

Chopped liver does not have to mean less important, or less glamorous.

dcarch

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:11PM
westsider40

Your chopped liver is glamorous, for sure! As are the rest of your rosh treats.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 12:17AM
gellchom

I've never understood "What am I, Chopped liver?" I mean, chopped liver is something people are GLAD to see, not something they overlook. I think it should be, "What am I, cold oatmeal?"

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 4:13PM
dcarch7

Thanks westsider40. Friends who tasted that dish respected chopped liver a lot more.

"---I think it should be, "What am I, cold oatmeal?"---"
LOL! gellchom. Some of my best friends!

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 8:25

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 7:32AM
cloud_swift

Gellchom, yes, please - I would like to get your honey cake recipe. Because my son and his family are vegetarian (eggs and dairy are fine with them), we are often dairy for holiday meals so I'll be able to use regular sour cream.

Unfortunately - "what am I, chopped liver?" would be appropriate in my family because I'm the only one who likes liver (even amongst the non-vegetarians). Dcarch, I'm impressed by how you got the chopped liver to mold along those little details and then come out cleanly.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:09PM
wintercat_gw

Joining Cloud Swift's request. I'd love to see your recipe, Gellchom. I'll be using real sour cream of course as I'm addicted to it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 3:21AM
sleevendog

Always looking for unusual molds. That's a beauty. Found a nice vintage cast iron one and used it this summer for cornbreads and clafoutis. When un-molded it makes a little top spiral divot for fruit sauce gravies or liquors.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:18AM
triciae

That's a gorgeous mold, sleevendog!

/tricia

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:54AM
Teresa_MN

Dcarch - the mold used for the pate - isn't that the silicon mold you made?

Teresa

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 8:12AM
dcarch7

Yes Teresa.

It is incredibly easy to make silicone molds.

Buy food grade silicone casting rubber, find a shape you like. Mix the two parts of silicone and pour over the shape. The next day, you will have a custom mold.

Silicone is non-stick, lasts forever, and can take oven temperature. I have used it for bread, meatloaf, jello, chocolate ---------.

dcarch

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™