Need idea for ring to store swim team ribbons

christinagJuly 4, 2006

Hi there--It's that time of year again, where my house is inundated with the kids' swim team ribbons. I'm looking for a way to keep them organized and thought about threading them onto a large ring of some sort (the ribbons have a grommet at the top with an eye in it). Ideally the kids could flip through the ribbons and see their improvement (or not!) as the season progresses.

Does anyone have a suggesion for what kind of ring to use? I was thinking of binder rings (the ones that snap closed), but I've only been able to find them up to 3 inches in diameter. Split rings (the kind used for keyrings) wouldn't work very well--too hard to get the ribbons on). I'd love some other creative thoughts...

Thanks and glad to be a part of this group!

Christina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susi_so_calif

I've got a ring about 8" in diameter that was sold for use with scarfs. Might work for you.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 8:52PM
lazy_gardens

A belt-holder ring? Check closet accessories

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 10:54AM
talley_sue_nyc

My belt-holder ring is way too thick to slide through the grommet--it's double wide.

Can you just use wire to make your own loop of some sort? Maybe take a clothes hanger, and make something that'll slip over the clothes rod?

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:52PM
willsgram

Don't know how many ribbons you're talking about, but years ago, when my daughter was bringing home ribbons from horse shows, my husband stretched a length of wire across her room (near the ceiling) and she hung them up there. By the time she finished riding in shows there were wires on three walls. She enjoyed displaying them and it kept them in an organized spot.

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 12:50PM
christinag

Thank you everyone for your thoughts--I'm going to look into making my own ring with a clothes hanger. I did find some large cable-style key rings that I will also check out. Thanks again for your time!

Christina

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 3:32AM
adellabedella_usa

Check out the craft section in Wal-Mart or a big hobby store. I think I've seen bigger metal rings. Also, what about a wooden hoop like quilters use?

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 10:26PM
KristinMary_cox_net

I put my kids on a wire from Ikea... Similar to another Mom but with little tiny clothes pins........

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:05PM
ottawa4

Another idea is to stitch the ribbons onto a small pillow case. I had them fan out diagonally into a sunburst type pattern and it's displayed on DS's bed. In my other son's room, I created a collage with an inexpensive IKEA frame.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 2:50PM
kayjones

Here in Florida, nearly everyone has a pool and thus, has a styrofoam safety ring. Use some straight pins and pin the ribbons all around the safety ring - doesn't take up much space, can be hung from the wall or the ceiling and will be quite attractive. A swimmer's body surfing board would work, too.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Can I get rid of my wedding gown?
Hi everyone. We went to spend the weekend with my parents...
tripletmom83
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
Loved This Book!
I just (quickly!) read "The Life-Changing Magic...
Merrygardener
More organizing for my Mom
My Mom's apartment has cheap, inefficient kitchen cabinets....
annkh_nd
I am donating like a madwoman!
In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get...
talley_sue_nyc
Sponsored Products
SW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
LBL Lighting | Tube 3 Low Voltage Pendant Light
$628.00 | YLighting
Decorative Melted Bottle
$9.99 | Dot & Bo
Holliston Double Towel Rack
Signature Hardware
Gama Sonic 10.5 in. EZ Lamp Post Anchor Exterior Lamp Post Installation Kit GS-3
$79.00 | Home Depot
ELK Lighting Rosavita Flush Mount 4052/3 - 19W in. - 4052/3
$286.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™