40" hood over 36" rangetop

WMA89February 10, 2013

Hello,
I got lots of great help here when I was working on my kitchen layout/design. Now it's time to pick out the range hood. We've ordered a 36" 6 burner Wolfe rangetop. I was originally planning on a custom built hood, but am now leaning towards a stainless steel chimney style. I know that a 42" hood would provide the recommended 3" overhang on each side, but I found a good deal on a 40" Rangecraft and am wondering if 1" less on each side would make a big difference--both aesthetically and function-wise. Here's a picture of the wall the range will sit on. The cupboards to the right are open, and there will be subway tile to the ceiling. As much as I'd love to be able to save the money, I don't want to make a big compromise and regret it later. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

I would think the 2" difference would be negligible. I'm putting a 36" over a 36" BlueStar due to constraints for my application. I did go 27" deep though, and 1000 cfm remote blower. From BlueStar's install literature: "We recommend that the hood should be six inches wider than the appliance, however, it is not a requirement."
On another note, I would consider drawers in place of the pullouts you have spec'd. We have those in our kitchen now, and during our reno I'm changing them to drawers. Instead of opening a door to pull out a drawer, it becomes a one step process... just food for thought.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:41PM
GreenDesigns

As pictured, the hood is dwarfed by the negative space. In a bad way. It either needs to be substantially larger, or you need to surround it with more cabinets.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:46PM
taggie

Agree the 2" space is negligible and in most cases it would be fine, but I'm with GreenDesigns in thinking that you either need to (1) rethink your flanking cabs or (2) go with a 48". The hood as pictured is quite disproportionate to the space.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:57PM
WMA89

Thanks. The input is very helpful. I originally had planned a 48" hood but wondered if would look like overkill. The hood in the drawing is not to scale--the cabinet maker just threw that in. At least I know to eliminate the 40" option!

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:24PM
breezygirl

Ditto Taggie.

Side note, could the Rangecraft you found by any chance be the 40" Viser on their clearance page? I found my 42" Viser there!

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
plllog or other induction importers
How can you tell if your model of choice will work...
borealtinkerer
Would you please review kitchen floorplan? 1880s house
Hello, I am new to posting, though I have read the...
islandgarden
Looking for stainless steel sink recommendations
Hey GW - I am looking for a single bowl SS sink for...
swatyreno
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
quartz countertops
I'm so confused. I keep reading that quartz countertops...
judydel
Sponsored Products
Genuine Black Leather 18 in. Backgammon Set - 2025
$239.00 | Hayneedle
Grey Crescent Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
Fugue Outdoor Wall Sconce by LBL Lighting
$368.00 | Lumens
Serena & Lily Border Frame Sham
Serena & Lily
Hinkley Bronze 3000K 60 Degree LED Landscape Spotlight
Lamps Plus