Concrete squares in yard

graywings123July 4, 2009

There are three concrete squares in my yard that I can't figure out. They are all the same size, 17 inches square with a 9 inch square open space in the center. They appear to have been set in a straight line down the center of the lot side to side. On is on the edge of the front porch, one is approximately in the center of the yard front-to-back, and one is at the rear of the property.

The house was built in 1919. Any idea what these could have been used for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lido

to support fence posts?

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 7:43AM
haus_proud

They may have been taken from a construction site somewhere by a former owner in the hopes of finding a use for them. Now they're your problem.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 9:52AM
sombreuil_mongrel

They look like chimney block, to quickly build a flue. They are a little on the small side. How tall/deep are they?
Casey

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 12:53PM
graywings123

The one in the center of the yard, which looks like it is set on another one, is 8 inches high. Picture below.

Like haus_proud, I first thought they were brought in by a previous owner looking to use them as planters. But when I realized the placement appeared to be in a straight line front to back, I went looking for a purpose for them.

However, now that I look at the photo below, everything around that block is part of a 15 year old extension to the house. The slab to the left could not have been poured if the concrete was there, right? So I guess I will go back to thinking that they were brought in as garden planters.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 3:55PM
kudzu9

I think they are old concrete blocks for building flues. The slab to the left could have been poured, and then the block could have been put in place (or replaced). They should work fine for planters.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 8:44PM
brickeyee

"I think they are old concrete blocks for building flues."

That would be a very poor flue.

Flue tile is fired tile to resist the heat and make sure flue gas cannot penetrate.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 1:35PM
kudzu9

brickeyee-
Yes, but with flue liner installed! Since they're not going to be used for that purpose, it's not much of an issue...

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 1:54PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Brickeyee, poor indeed! But they still make 'em. The more I think about it, it's not big enough for a flue block. I think it was a pier block, capable of being filled with rebar and concrete for a very solid pier.
Casey

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 7:28PM
brickeyee

"Yes, but with flue liner installed!"

Not large enough for much of anything, especially if you tried to line them. That would take at least another inch off the dimensions.

"I think it was a pier block, capable of being filled with rebar and concrete for a very solid pier."

Far more likely.
Concrete has huge strength in compression, and minimal rebar and grout would stabilize a column.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™