Old well

fstrieglJuly 31, 2008

Next to our just-purchased 1855 brick farmhouse, we have what seems to be a well. It bulges out near the ground, and I am told it is wider below the ground than above it. Our problem - restore or fill in? Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?

All advice appreciated!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you don't want it, fill it in. If you do want it, get a well drilling company to check it out and see what they recommend.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There are some fairly specific guidelines for properly abandoning an old well... particularly if it is a "deep well". Improper abandonment may cause contamination of underground aquifers. It would be wise to consult with your local health department on appropriate procedures.


Here is a link that might be useful: Ask Mason

    Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 4:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks - I will discuss with my wife after I return home (live out of country) and we will see what we can do for next summer's projects.


    Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 10:27PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™