What can I do with these walls?

JermesJuly 7, 2009

We have a four square, prarie style home built in 1925 we are restoring. The construction is brick and mortar. The staircase wall, which is mortar, has crumbling wallpaper placed over the mortar. I would like to remove the wallpaper and either plaster or texture with drywall compound. Which would be best and what other prep work would I need? This is a great site and thanks for everyone's help.

Jerrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jermes

Hi Mark. That is something like what I would like to do but I would be applying the plaster to mortar walls. Is there a prep I need to do to help the plaster bind to the mortar?
Jerrie

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 6:08PM
powermuffin

You can use a product like Weldbond, which was recommended to us through the Old House Forum. It is essentially a glue that you dilute and paint on the wall before you plaster it. We used it to hold new and old plaster together. Pretty easy. I would search the web for patching plaster, which will be similar to what you are doing.
Diane

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:27AM
Jermes

Thanks Diane. I checked with Sherman Williams yesterday and they have a product called Lockon which you paint on the mortar before applying plaster or drywall compound. I'll check into the Weldbond.
Jerrie

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™