What can I do with these walls?

JermesJuly 7, 2009

We have a four square, prarie style home built in 1925 we are restoring. The construction is brick and mortar. The staircase wall, which is mortar, has crumbling wallpaper placed over the mortar. I would like to remove the wallpaper and either plaster or texture with drywall compound. Which would be best and what other prep work would I need? This is a great site and thanks for everyone's help.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Mark. That is something like what I would like to do but I would be applying the plaster to mortar walls. Is there a prep I need to do to help the plaster bind to the mortar?

    Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 6:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can use a product like Weldbond, which was recommended to us through the Old House Forum. It is essentially a glue that you dilute and paint on the wall before you plaster it. We used it to hold new and old plaster together. Pretty easy. I would search the web for patching plaster, which will be similar to what you are doing.

    Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks Diane. I checked with Sherman Williams yesterday and they have a product called Lockon which you paint on the mortar before applying plaster or drywall compound. I'll check into the Weldbond.

    Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:50AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Original Heart of Pine Flooring - matching
Hello, I have a contract on a 1905 Edwardian row house....
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™