House type?

fstrieglJuly 31, 2008

My wife and I just bought an 1855 farmhouse in a small town - unknown style, red brick with red paint all over it -

Other than the title which I already have, where could I find out more info on what type / style of house this is?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housekeeping

You could post a picture here. Many people on this forum are whizzes at deciphering styles. Most likely, though you have already hit the nail on the head by describing it as a farmhouse. Be sure to say generally what part of the country you are in as styles migrated westward at different rates.

Your title (especially if it is a nice long chain) will open doors to discovering more about the property's history of subdivsion, ownership, usage, and in some cases - but not all - the date of the bulding construction. Some of the most productive information will be the listing of who owned it, because then you can begin to piece together who they were using tax, census, farm production data, (and even how many dogs they kept). Chaining a title back to the earliest records in you area almost always offers insights you can't get anywhere else. It's not hard to learn how to do and in most cases the records are available to the public. If the recording clerks can't help you figure out how to go about doing the chain, there are books to learn from, and sometimes your local historical society may be a good resource for further info.

Before you launch yourselves into major re-dos of the house I suggest you learn as much about its history as you can. That will help you avoid unknowingly destroying or dmaging some important piece of the puzzle simply because you weren't aware of its existence. Houses are entirely human-driven artifacts, so knowing the who and why of a place will tell you the "what" you are looking to learn about.

Molly~

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 11:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fstriegl

Many thanks for the info! I will post a photo but have to go elsewhere to upload it - only have dialup here - will do shortly.

/FS

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Sponsored Products
Nuevo Living Dani Modern Pendant Lamp
ModernistLighting.com
Iron Pendant
Lightology
Lithonia Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LED Small Bronze Wall Pack with Glass
Home Depot
Bella Oil-Rubbed Bronze One-Light LED Sconce
$217.80 | Bellacor
Brushed Nickel Bath 3-Light
PLFixtures