repairing a damaged rubble stone foundation

bobwt1July 27, 2008

I am jacking up a 100 year old house that was built on a dry rubble foundation with mortared faces above grade. I want to pour a concrete bond beam over the existing foundation. Is this a bad idea? I have read that these types of foundations are very sensetive to the introduction of modern high strength mortars. I have found several voids in the interior of the foundation, thus the thought of a bond beam to bridge possible voids. Should these be repaired and if so what kind of mortar should i use? We have very hard rocks here so I was thinking type s. Any incite will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You need a geotechnical engineer to determine the soil type and bearing capacity.

While a bond beam can spread loads out, it will not do any good if the rubble footprint is to small to support the additional load.
The old footing can tend to concentrate the load, defeating the load spreading of the bond beam.
This is a problem that needs a careful sight inspection to determine what the best way to proceed is.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 8:44PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please
Hello, Everyone... My husband and I are in the process...
Are colored appliances going to come back?
I hope so. I have a stainless steel stove (front only)...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™