Another spray foam in attic question. Please help.

cheri127July 23, 2012

Hello all. Although I've spent a lot of time in kitchens and appliances, I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can help clarify my attic insulation problems. We live in a 100 yr old stone/stucco house outside of Philadelphia. We had an energy audit done recently and would like to begin addressing some of the issues which were found. The most pressing and easiest to fix is the attic. The HVAC company who did the audit recommended sealing obvious leaks and then adding more cellulose insulation. I would like to use spray foam instead. Most of the attic is finished space; there are three rooms and a bath, 5 large dormers and three closets built around some of the knee walls (the temps in summer are astounding in these closets). There is also an 18" stone wall which runs through the middle of the house right up to the roof line. Because the rooms are finished, getting behind the knee walls isn't trivial though three of them have access doors. The A/C air handler and flexible duct work is also in the attic (hi velocity system). I have no idea how the attic is vented.

What I would like to do is have all of the existing cellulose removed from the two large spaces above the rooms and have closed cell foam applied under the roof. I don't think it will be possible to get behind the knee walls with foam so I thought maybe we could pack that with dense cellulose. I'm not anticipating any leaks any time soon as the roof is only 8 years old and both chimneys were just fully repaired. Any ideas about whether this would work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Vented attics in the South make Dr. Joe Lstiburek's list of top ten dumb things to do in the South.

(Not counting Brit Jeremy Clarkson and pals driving through Alabama with the following slogans covering their cars: "Man-love rules OK", "Country and Western is Rubbish" "Hillary for President" and "NASCAR sucks".)

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 7:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
energy_rater_la

have a foam company come and take a look.
lots of times we cut thru a wall to allow
access.
if you only foam part of the roof, you aren't
achieving a lot as you will still have air leakage from unfoamed area.

if it is truly not acessable then
you need to put a wall(..can be felt nailed
to studs) between foamed and unfoamed part of
attic. foam company can spray the 'wall' to
make it air tight to the unvented portion.

most companies should be able to figure it out
and give you a better idea.

shop around.

best of luck.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™