Finally started going thru papers in garage bins

marie26July 10, 2005

It took me 2 months but today I finally started going through the bins of papers in the garage. I was shocked that one of them that I have been lugging around for years from place to place had mostly old maps and tour guides in it. I had thought there were only trip brochures, etc. in it because some of these were on the top. From that bin, I now have only 1 bag of stuff to keep. I realized, though, that I was really ruthless for the 1st 3/4 of the bin. After that, everything started to be a keep. I still have to go back to the bag to throw some more stuff out. Now I realize why Clean Sweep does their 2-step process when they are going through stuff on the lawn.

There is now one more bin to go thru plus a couple of boxes and a drawer of papers in my bedroom. I will need to be ruthless. I did find that I had organized some of my papers into one bin that I thought held papers to go thru. These papers will definitely help me with a project I've been working on. I thought I had lost them in one of my moves.

It's a good start.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

I was really ruthless for the 1st 3/4 of the bin. After that, everything started to be a keep.

This is valuable info--you'd identified your efficiency level. You're efficient for that long (or through that much stuff). Then, you start to feel remorse, or just get tired.

So don't try to do more than that at a time.

Congrats on your big start--that's terrific!

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 12:00PM
skatiero

Good point, Talley Sue.

I seem to be the other way. i will skip going through stuff when I run out of time, but at first i seem to want to keep more stuff, and after a while I get kind of hardened and chuck it all!

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 4:44PM
marie26

skatiero, my husband usually will just chuck it all. I've actually gone into the garbage to check what he's thrown out.

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 6:33PM
wantoretire_did

Marie26 - Remember to SHRED, SHRED, SHRED.

Bookmark   July 15, 2005 at 7:00PM
teacats

WELL DONE!!!! :) And an excellent suggestion above -- when you start to notice that you have lost the "groove" -- have a rest or change gears -- and try another activity or bin/box.

And I must say that I am that OTHER way -- at first I will keep things when tackling a box or bin -- and then I get into the "zone" -- and I'm a maniac about getting rid of stuff!!! LOL!!! At the end I can't believe how much "stuff" I had been holding on to!!!! AND the piles that have to be dragged to the large garbage bin!

(just stand well back and throw in chocolate) :)

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Large closet advice
I'm turning a spare bedroom into a dressing room and...
helsharmar
Getting rid of part of an item- WWYD
Okay, here's the question: I have a larger, aluminum...
quasifish
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™