Less shopping, less buying, less anxiety & ....

brugloverZ9July 9, 2008

...less hot flashes! Wow, I never thought that the side effect of simplifying would be a reduction in hot flashes.

When I was reading Elaine St. James book this morning " Living the Simple Life" I got to her area on watching for early warning signs of wanting to buy. To paraphrase, among them were " you feel a slight palpitation of the heart, the pulse starts to quicken, you feel a rush of adrenaline. Part of you wants to hold back and another part is reaching for your credit card."

The last few days I have been experiencing less hot flashes and was trying to figure out what I was doing differently, when I came across her words and thought...THIS IS IT !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Thanks, Brug. A great message for me, too.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 9:27PM
donnawb

I don't buy anything anymore unless I know where I am going to put it and what I will be getting rid of first. I have been doing that for the last year or so and has helped greatly.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 12:48PM
Lena M

I don't buy anything anymore... unless we are going to eat it or burn it.

Gotta laugh, Lena

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 2:45PM
maryliz

Every time I hold a new object in my hands, whether it be something I am thinking of buying, or a gift from someone else, I ask: "Is this going to become clutter?" If the answer is no, it is allowed into my house.

After all the years I spent living with the misery of clutter, and all the work it took to get rid of the clutter, I don't want it back. I don't want to swap old junk for new junk.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 9:32AM
talley_sue_nyc

Once upon a time I vowed to zero my credit cards. I didn't buy anything but kids' clothes if they changed sizes.

I wiped out a ton of debt, changed my spending habits long-term, and made tons of progress on my decluttering.

I'm seeing some of my old spending habits creeping back; I'm hoping that bcs I now feel broke from vacationing in Hawai'i I'll find it easier to just not buy stuff.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Anyone know of good boxes (plastic?) for storing papers?
I've been purging DD's school work and paper crafts...
quasifish
under sink organization (kitchen)
Had to share this photo. It is perfect use of the dead...
mvastian
Organizing/de cluttering success (please share yours too!)
I cleaned out and organized the tool box! We live in...
sloedjinn
How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?
On the "share your success" thread, taft...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™