Need Suggestions on Exterior Colors of 1911 House

b_valancyJuly 27, 2014

Hi,

I am hoping you nice people here at 'Old Houses' can help me out. My husband and I own a 1911 home which is in need of some TLC on the exterior. New facscia, soffit, paint, replacement of cedar shakes on gable, small repair to water damage cracks in the stucco. Luckily the roof is relatively new, with red/brown shingles.

My problem is that I just can't start to think outside the box when it comes to colors for this house. I initially thought dark or black (fascia/soffit) and a cream tone paint. However I saw pictures from the 90's where the shingles were black and the house more a white color and it looked positively stark and drab.

In some ways, I feel limited by the color of the roof, and the bright red front door (which I love, but willing to paint if necessary). I could either go for a nice warm palette, or something darker and cool. So confused!!

I can't seem to visualize a color palette that is too different from what is already there.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

This post was edited by b_valancy on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:28

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
b_valancy

Front of House

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:26PM
b_valancy

Back of house.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:34PM
powermuffin

If you want black trim, I would warm up the stucco to either a taupe, a medium gray or a butterscotch color. Any of these would add some richness to the house and look nice with most reds. If you want a difference between the stucco and the shakes, I would go with a darker or lighter version of the stucco color that you decide on. Some Benjamin Moore colors to look at are Chestertown Buff, Serengeti Sand, Stonybrook, Baked Cumin and Thunder.
Diane

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:46PM
sombreuil_mongrel

In 1910, shingle stain colors were very limited, like red, green, brown, and buff.
I think Buff on the stucco, off-white for trim, and a green or red for the accent color. Your door being red in the pic, that would work. The shingled gables may look well in another color as long as it is not a deep value or a primary color. Something like a slightly darker shade of the stucco color.
I'd recommend staying away from the outlining effect in a dark color of the trims, it makes an already-small structure look more cut up (busy is a word I hate to use, but it fits in this instance, meaning visual clutter)
Casey

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 9:58AM
b_valancy

Thanks for your suggestions.

I found a site that could help me visual my color choices, (Better Homes and Gardens); though they had a limited colour palette selection.

I'll post a few of my favorites and hopefully with some votes I can make the best choice.

Off white, with darker trim; I found white trim and the white paint was very bad combination. Very similar to existing color scheme.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:29PM
b_valancy

This color scheme was not even on my radar until I starting playing around.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:30PM
b_valancy

Option #3

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:33PM
b_valancy

Option #4

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 12:35PM
sombreuil_mongrel

I would not go with a dark-value siding color on such a small house; it will virtually disappear.
Casey

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 3:33PM
sunnyca_gw

Those dark colors absorb the sun's heat & you will be living in a "hot house" . And it's true it will make it look smaller. It looks like the roof is brown in the 1st pic. I would think you would want that to be considered in your color choice. Maybe a light sage green or a light mocha color with white trim.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:11AM
suz16

I vote for a light grayish putty color on entire house, dark navy blue or black trim and leave the door the color it is. Simplicity is always best.Your house is adorable!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™