Storing outdoor cushions

rosesr4meJuly 23, 2007

I just bought a patio set and need to store the chair cushions and one chaise cushion during rainy weather. Any ideas on a good way to store these bulky cushions without getting them dirty/dusty? I have thought about those outdoor boxes, but they are not watertight, and besides, expensive! Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
western_pa_luann

Everyone I know either brings them in or has them in a box outside.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 4:20PM
salena

Garbage-bag them and hang them from the rafters in the garage

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 9:15AM
western_pa_luann

Salena - do you actually do that???
I think it would be terribly inconvenient to bag and hang them (going up and down ladders???) on a routine basis. It rains a few times a week here - that's a LOT of effort!

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 10:24AM
talley_sue_nyc

I suppose wind could be a problem, but, what about this?

get some cheap vinyl tablecloths, or maybe vinyl itself, and some inexpensive spring clamps, or even a bunch of clothespins.

Drape the furniture w/ the vinyl tablecloths, and keep it from blowing away w/ the spring clamps or clothespins.

then, the thing you're moving around (and storing between times) is less bulky.

(I wonder if Salena was reacting to the title of the thread and thinking off-season storage, and didn't notice the "only when it rains" part of the question?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocodile Clips for grill covers, pool covers, etc.; slightly cheaper, 2 for $3

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 1:16PM
rosesr4me

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Salena - I like the hanging idea! This would work for me because my cushions tend to be stored for long periods, especially in the summer (very humid, wet, and high UV here in FL). I am thinking about stringing them (bagged) somehow on a cord across ceiling beams, then just unhook one end of the cord and they would slide off. May not even have to use a ladder if I use a broomstick with a hook screwed into the end to unhook the cord.

talley_sue - your idea about clipping them would work well for the winter months here. Hadn't thought of such a simple idea.

Thanks for jumpstarting the thought process!

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 3:21PM
talley_sue_nyc

Only one thing: you don't want those cushion inside something too airtight; you may end up w/ mildew.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 5:30PM
jannie

I bought a pool deck box for about $50 and use that for storing cushions, including wintertime stoorage.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 6:40PM
lovesummer

The deck boxes usually *are* watertight. I just bought one that I'm using for BBQ and gardening stuff, but the tag showed patio furniture cushions in it. It was about $50 and just snapped together without tools; as the summer wanes you can probably find them cheaper on sale.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 4:24PM
rosesr4me

Thanks jannie and lovesummer - I will have to revisit the deck boxes. The ones I saw were $200 - way too nice for my budget!

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 6:19PM
datura-07

I purchased covers for my furniture. Flies and other bugs go under them and die. And also leave spots on the furniture. I bring them into my gezebo. But I also think the deck boxes are the best bet.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 7:48PM
janmcdub

I'm thinking of hanging them on the screened-in porch on a line of hooks, or pegs...easy to get at. And while they're still new and nice looking!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 4:17PM
LuAnn_in_PA

How do you plan on hanging those cushions?
Will you be sewing loops on them all?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Where to donate a 15yo nebulizer
Years ago, when my now-17-y-o was a little one, he...
talley_sue_nyc
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
Meet and Greet - Please Introduce yourself!
I don't think I've ever seen that happen on this particular...
claire_de_luna
More organizing for my Mom
My Mom's apartment has cheap, inefficient kitchen cabinets....
annkh_nd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™