Induction is new to me and I feel stupid

PatspadsSeptember 12, 2013

I didn't know the cooktop was an induction when we moved in. I bought magnetic pots, but still can't get the "burner" to stay on. I know it must be something easy...Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcarch7

Have you tried different size pots?

dcarch

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 5:52PM
triciae

I have induction. Are you sure you are not lifting the pan once you've placed it on a hob? If you have, that might trip the hob.

/tricia

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 6:09PM
Patspads

Thank you triciae and dcarch; I think the pots I got might not be strong enough. I put water in them & centered them on the closest fitting circle, but still it kept going off. I took out my cast iron skillet and it worked perfectly. Maybe I need pots with a stronger magnetic pull?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 6:37PM
dcarch7

Some induction cook tops can sense the correct size pots as well as correct metals to operate.

dcarch

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:53PM
shambo

Sounds like you solved your problem. Perhaps the pots you bought weren't really induction compatible. When I buy new pans for my induction stove top I just test them with the magnetized clasp on my purse. It's not the strongest magnet, but if it sticks to the pan, I know the pot will work on my stove top.

What is the brand of your cook top? And what brand of cookware did you buy? This is really an intriguing dilemma. I've found that you definitely have to test stainless steel cookware, though. Sometimes the magnet won't stick.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:06PM
westsider40

I, too, have induction and the magnet test is not perfect. The magnet is the first clue and then I rely on the manufacturer's label and advertising to determine compatibility. Even so, I had one pot from TJ Marshall's claiming to be induction capable, which did not work. Magnet test has been flawed for me.

I have an assortment of pots and pans, from expensive to way not expensive which all work well on my cooktop.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 4:44PM
kitchendetective

Could this be some sort of timer issue?

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Does this Nutella frosting on my cake need to be refrigerated?
I finally found a Nutella frosting recipe that I really...
sooz
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™