Water coming in at base of house in garage...

kaciiJuly 28, 2008

Every time it rains heavily, we get some water seepage into the garage along the bottom of one wall. We don't have gutters along that wall. Would adding gutters fix it or do we need to dig down, expose the wall and seal it? Thanks, Kaci

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

PROPERLY installed gutters would probably be a big help especially if the downspout is pointed away from the garage.
It's really hard to say without seeing pic. what your situation is BUT given that there are no gutters that is where I'd start.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 4:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housekeeping

I agree with Carol, guttering is where I would start,too. The only caveat would be if the ground immediately outside where the leak is slopes directly uphill from the building. In that case changing the surface drainage might be a better quick fix.

Assuming it's level or sloping away, then go for gutters. You may need gutters not only on the garage eaves, but also gutters on adjacent structure(s) if they are dumping water down on the ground by the garage's seeping wall.

Sealing from the outside is another task, but sometimes you can get away with just installing some more effective subsurface drains, i.e. french drains, which are not usually too complicated to create, providing you have a suitable outlet for them.

HTH,

Molly~

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™