New Granite Install - Backsplash Seam

teal123February 4, 2014

Hi everyone, We just had our granite installed yesterday. I am happy with all of it except one place where two pieces come together on the backsplash. It is in a corner that is very visible. It looks like they tried to match the backsplash with the counter below, but the two backsplash pieces don't match each other. Does anyone know if a piece or two of backsplash can be removed and replaced now that it is in? Also, do you think I should ask them to replace it, or just live with it? Any advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teal123

Here is another picture so you can see it from a distance.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:26AM
teal123

Here is another picture so you can see it from a distance.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:37AM
Zivman

It's natural stone. I think it looks fine. I'd let it be

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:49AM
ardcp

I'm not an expert just a homeowner but i think it looks great. I wouldn't mess with it. Especially with all the problems you see with seams, if your seems are good and tight I would be afraid to mess around with a reinstall.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 11:52AM
kompy

It looks fine. You'll never notice it once you've lived with it for a while. If you want it redone....it should be at your expense. The fabricators did a really nice job. I would not expect them to re-do this at no charge.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 12:58PM
teachertile

It's not the best, but its ok. I would probably just put something in that corner so it won't be noticeable.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 1:33PM
may_flowers

Was there a better piece left on the slab? I wouldn't be happy with just that one dark piece, but if you didn't attend the template layout and just let them cut how they wanted to, you can't really complain. You'll have to ask them if it can be replaced at your cost.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:53PM
snookums2

The abrupt change in color would bother me too. All you can do is ask what they can do about it. You'll never know if they could have done better.

Was there a templating done for you to see? This is why that's such a good idea. The problems can be addressed then. For all they know you might have wanted to purchase more stone if there was no way around it. Or maybe your standards are just higher than the fabricator's and you could have pointed it out then so he could have made some adjustments.

I don't think you are being picky, but after the fact, you can't know if it could have been avoided.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 6:12PM
detroit_burb

bring it to the attention of your contractor and go from there.

I have had granite installed by a stone artist, and he removed a piece on install day because he did not like the way it flowed. he wouldn't even let me comment, he just said he did not want it there. I waited another week then he completed the job.

I have had granite installed by three other companies (four installs total) who either did not give a s***, or lacked attention to detail, and made me feel bad for asking about details.

it doesn't hurt to ask, see what response you get. In three months, if it still bothers you, your request will certainly fall on deaf ears, if you ask now there is a chance to fix it.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:43PM
Trebruchet

I am sooooo glad I'm not a fabricator.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 12:10AM
jerzeegirl

I think they did a beautiful job. It looks great. You are reacting to the backsplash because it's new but in a few days your eye will become accustomed to the way it looks and any color differences in the granite will fade into the background.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 9:29AM
gigigirl1

imo I would have them replace it. If I had to look at that every day it would drive me crazy.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:33AM
Emily Saba

Can you tell me what kind of granite this is? It's beautiful! The seam would probably bother me, too.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 2:42PM
nosoccermom

Well, I'm super picky, my DH would say anal. But this would not bother me unless it looks more obvious in real life. It is stone. having said that, it would bother me on a flat surface. Go figure.
However, if it bothers you, I'd ask if there's anything that can be done.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 3:28PM
jellytoast

In the photo, it looks like that one backsplash piece is the only dark piece in the entire installation. It might not be so jarring in RL if there are actually more dark areas in the installation. However, I can see why the OP is concerned about it ... having the dark and light butt up against each other like is rather unfortunate ... your eyes are just drawn to that spot! Teal123, if you are the type of person who is bothered by that sort of thing, having people tell you that it doesn't bother THEM isn't going to make a bit of difference to YOU. If it bugs you, ask the fabricator what your options are.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 4:35PM
michellemarie

It would bother me. I would ask if there is anything that can be done about it and if the answer is no, I would get a pretty accessory for that corner and you will be the only one that will notice it.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Old, Deep Cast Iron Sink or New Sink? I can't decide
Hello, would love to hear from those of you who have...
Cindy McMahon
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Resurrecting kitchen project Part II
My husband’s kitchen deadline is still May, but it...
margo456
Soapstone in the Midwest/St. Louis area?
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for the past year,...
designsaavy
Sponsored Products
Empress Armchair Upholstered Set of 2 in Granite
$709.00 | LexMod
Sample Shangri-La Green Quartz Random Brick Glass and Stone Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Antique Copper Whitehaus RNW35L Extra Long 3 1/2'' Strainer Duet Sinks
$45.00 | Blue Bath
Williamsburg 16 Light Chandelier
$302.10 | Bellacor
Alliyah Handmade Friar Brown New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Aston Shower Enclosures Nautis GS 54 in. x 72 in. Frameless Hinge Shower Door
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™