What are these called?

spyrogirlkimJuly 29, 2008

In every corner of the house and at each door there is a tall post looking thing.When we bought the house we were told they are orignal and he thought they were victorian.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are you talking about some kind of pillars, or ??? How wide are they? Are then floor-to-ceiling? Painted to match surroundings? Hollow (tap them)? Where are the exactly in relation to doors, etc?

    Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 3:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

they are about 4 inches tall and in every corner of the house,yes they are decorative.They are at bottom not up top in walls.

    Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Wooden corner protectors?

    Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 9:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The ones at the doorway - if the door casing/trim comes down to meet them - are probably plinth blocks.

For example:

(A pilaster is typically the decorative panel that comes up out of the plinth block.)

The ones in the corner are usually just called "inside corner trim blocks", like this:

My stepdad (a contractor, old-house-sympathetic-but-not-obsessive) also called them "corner soldiers", but I don't know how widespread that is.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

LOL, I used them when I put up molding in a house I just sold. They're great ways to get out of mitering corners. I called them cheaters.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:34PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
Sponsored Products
Fire Magic 53934S Double Access Doors - 14 x 30 - 53934S
$384.20 | Hayneedle
Waring Pro DB60 Brushed Stainless Steel Portable Double Burner
Furniture of America Kents 70 in. Walnut Entertainment Center - FCI-138-4L
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Online Sectional Sofa
| Italy Design
Shires Equestrian Saddle Stand - 978C-ONE
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Artisan Bench with Drawers
Home Decorators Collection
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades White Washed Reed Weave Bamboo Roman
Home Decorators Collection
| Italy Design
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™