Do my old walls 'remember' the leaks?

acc0406July 20, 2011

My house was built in 1935. Most of the walls and ceilings are a plaster board coated with two coats of plaster, kind of a precursor to drywall.

About 8 years ago, we had a leak in our upstairs bathroom that damaged the kitchen ceiling below. Later, we remodeled the bathroom and haven't had any obvious leaks since. About 3 years ago we remodeled the kitchen and had the ceiling damage repaired so that it looked like new.

Recently, I've noticed the plaster in the same area starting to bubble and crack. I opened the access panel to the tub and didn't see any obvious signs of water. Am I missing the leak? What else could be causing damage in the same area? Because, I'm having the same issue in a bedroom wall behind the chimney, where we had water coming in years ago and finally had it repaired recently, I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the wall board rather than an ongoing leak.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"Recently, I've noticed the plaster in the same area starting to bubble and crack. I opened the access panel to the tub and didn't see any obvious signs of water. Am I missing the leak?

Check tun caulking and the overflow gasket.

These are two common placers for leaks in tubs.

New water is damaging the plaster.

Once of the first uses of gypsum boards (similar to drywall) was in 16 inch x 48 inch panels that replaced wood lathe for 2 coat plaster work.
Wood lath took three coats to finish a wall, gypsum lathe replaced the wood and the first coat of plaster.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

I'm thinking perhaps the repair materials were not up to the task, or the substrate had not been properly dealt with and made ready to take the patching compound.
The water-damaged stuff needed to be scraped away to a solid base, and then sealed with bonding agent (Link, or Plasterweld) to be sure it was sound. You can't patch plaster onto a friable substrate.
Casey

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Plaster stamped like tile?
My house was built in 1915. I am tearing out some 60s...
civ_IV_fan
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Sponsored Products
Varaluz | Fascination Small Outdoor Wall Light
$249.00 | YLighting
Papineau Natural Pine Wood Wall Art
$189.99 | zulily
Geos 08158 Wall Sconce by Ultralights
$525.20 | Lumens
Cerno Levo Right-Hand Eco-Friendly LED Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Landmark Lighting insulator Glass 66805-1-LED 1 Light Swingarm Sconce in Polishe
Beyond Stores
Progress Lighting P3044-15 Crystal Cut Glass Three-Light Chrome Bath Light With
Progress Lighting
Maxwell Dickson 'Elk Head' Canvas Wall Art
Overstock.com
Hudson Valley Lighting 951-PN Bristol Polished Nickel Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™