Strip flooring with unusual cross section

ferretbeeJuly 2, 2014

(Cross posted from Flooring forum)

I'm renovating a small 1890's house and need to patch and refinish about 700 sq/ft of strip flooring. It looks like red oak, and measures 3/8 inch thick x 2 inches wide. It does not have a traditional tongue and groove but has a bevel joint instead:

Has anyone run across this type of flooring before? Someone was concerned about wavy joints if the sanding isn't kept very even.

I have not found any source for flooring with this type of joint, but can sacrifice the upstairs hallway to make my patches and then install regular tongue and groove in the hall.

Does anyone have a reasonable source for 3/8" x 2" (or even 2-1/4") unfinished red oak flooring on the East coast? I'm located in Northeastern PA.

Thanks in advance,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi,
That was sold on a roll, called a wood rug; I have seen a vintage ad for it but never seen any in person. If that's what it is, it would be face-nailed with small brads. If it was laid piece-by-piece, it could have been nailed through the "tongue" or "groove".
If it's 1890 material, it is more likely white oak; red oak back then was not used as much for woodwork as for firewood.
Casey

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 4:58PM
lazy_gardens

Steal from the hallway for the patches, and sand VERY LIGHTLY.

=======
Casey - Do you have a link to the ad?

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 11:51AM
ferretbee

What I really need for my project is a source for 3/8" thick by x 2" (or 2-1/4") wide unfinished tongue and groove Red Oak flooring near PA.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:16PM
sqsemi

I just found out today that my strip oak floors in the front hall have no tongue or groove of any sort! I've always noticed a whole lot of face-nails, but thought it had just been a squeaky floor. All the other (and abutting) floors are T+G and the house is 1906.
Odd?

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:23PM
lazy_gardens

sqsemi - In an old house, nothing is really "odd".

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 6:24AM
ferretbee

My floor is not face nailed, and likely dates to 20th century as the sub floor is typical tongue and groove 7/8" pine with a brown finish.

A local floor refinisher worked on a similar project a few months ago.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 11:32AM
ferretbee

I removed my hall floor today and looked more closely at the stamping on the back. It's marked 'CROMAR FACTORY FINISHED FLOORING, THE CROMAR CO, WILLIAMSPORT PA, Reg US PAT 6-10-19, 9-1-25.

I found one of the patents (link attached):

A quick search turned on google for 'Cromar Flooring' had some interesting results from old newspapers and trade publications.

There was some light cardstock packaging under some pieces as shims. When pieced together it showed is was Mens/Boys Rayon Underwear by Utica Knitting Company. The packaging looked 1960's to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: freepatentsonline.com/1644710.pdf

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 10:53PM
PRO
Case Contracting

Was anybody able to find a supplier for 3/8 inch 1.5 wide oak? I have the same cromar flooring and looking to match it. Thanks. case1contracting@gmail.com

Bookmark   February 11, 2015 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™