Painting an old storm door.

gregf_2010July 27, 2010

Perhaps, someone could advise me. I need to paint an old white storm door along with the metal frame around it. The door is a little over 17yrs old. The door was bought at a Home Depot store in Brookfield, Ct.. I live in Putnam County, N.Y.. The door needs painting, but, I do not know what kind of white paint the manufacturer originally used on the door and it's metal frame. I want to paint both this door ( I think its made out of a combination of wood and fiberglas?) and the metal frame (possibly made of aluminum). Both are white and I want to keep to the white. This door and frame, I stress, have never been painted except, by the manufacturer. I need to know, what, if any, primer is needed and what kind of primer to use and what kind of paint to use (latex or oil base)? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

If I were doing this, I would remove remove the door from the hinges if possible and place on a work table. I would give it a good cleaning using steel wool and some mineral spirits. That will clean it and roughen up the paint surface so that the new paint has something to grip. Then I would tape off what I didn't want to turn white and spray prime and then spray paint it.

Warning - I'm an amateur. You might want to cross post on the Paint forum and hear what the experts say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum all surface spray paint

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
Foundation problem?
Hi all, this is a 1950s cape and every winter when...
kevingalaxy
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™