Questions about ventless heaters?

newdawn1895July 24, 2008

I have an old Victorian Cottage, circa 1895. I have two fireplace's one in the living room and one in the kitchen. They are the old fireplace's that were used for cole. The insert is quite small and the chimmey is capped off.

My question is, can I put in ventless heater's without worrying about the house catching on fire?

My gas bills in the winter are enormous, because I have no insulation in the walls.

I live alone so I don't want to be scared to death. lol

....Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scryn

If you read the "instruction manual" for any ventless heater they all require a certain amount of air exchange so you have to open windows a certain amount or have a large house or room. Most fireplace stores I have visited do not recommend or sell ventless heaters because they do produce carbon monoxide and they are more unsafe than vented heaters.

I would not purchase one if you plan to run it for lengthy periods.

Something you may want to look into are gas heaters or certain types of pellot stoves, corn stoves ect that are "direct" vented. This means they do not require a chimney, just a pipe exciting the house where the exhaust goes. These can be easily installed on any exterior wall.

I have two direct vented empire heaters. I really love them and would recommend them. They can be hooked up to a thermostat very easily and can keep a room very toasty.

Yes, they are more expensive than ventless heaters, but a lot safer.

if you want a cheap option...electricity is becoming cheaper in some areas than gas. Buying an electric heater, to use in a room would be the cheapest and easiest way to keep your room warm. However, these are not safe to run while you are not home, which is fine, because you don't need heat if you are not home!

-renee

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™