Old House homeowners insurance

hockeymom93July 30, 2008

My husband and I bought a home handy special and we can't get homeowners insurance while we live and work on it. if anyone knows of insurances companys that will insurance us please let us know.... Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

Farmers, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Allstate - they all insure old homes.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 1:59PM
antiquesilver

This may be outdated info but when we bought our slum lord special, Chubb would only write a fire policy until we moved in, & then we converted it to homeowners.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 2:45PM
allison1888

Do you have to tell them how much work it needs?

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:18PM
calliope

They come look at it, and prolly photograph it. As soon as I bought my fixer upper, they appeared. LOL. But, I didn't have a problem at all getting insurance. The only stipulation was I put in a hand-rail on the back porch, because it had more than three steps to it. They did ask me all sorts of questions as to the entrance box, fire alarms, wiring. That didn't stop me from getting insurance, but it can affect the rates. As you make improvements, and let them know what you've done, the costs go down.

Pick up a phone book and let your fingers do the walking. Some companies won't insure farms, some won't insure vacation homes. They all have their guidelines and not necessarily the same ones.

Whatever you do, however, don't fudge answers. Be truthful. If you try to make it look better than it is, and you need to make claims, they may not cover it, and it could be considered fraudulent.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:33PM
eastgate

I bought a ruin a few months ago and had to get a builder's risk policy. The good thing is that the builder's risk cost less than a regular homeowner's policy. I had to get separate policies for flood and liability.

Before the insurance company would write the policy, I was required to submit estimates for repair from a licensed contractor and a report from a structural engineer certifying that the house was structurally sound. The insurance agency provided me with the name of the engineer (he charged $100.00). They also reminded me not to mention structural issues in the estimate (such as shoring, leveling, foundation work, etc.)

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™