Is it safe to use bleach or BKF with pol. chrome sink strainer?

kaysdFebruary 24, 2013

I am considering buying the Kohler Duostrainer. My sink is SS and faucets are polished chrome. I can justify paying $40 for the PC Duostrainer rather than using the strainer that came with the sink, but over $100 for stainless seems too high.

I have seen posts that say to buy stainless rather than nickel or ORB strainers, as the finish on those can be damaged by cleaning products like bleach or Bar Keeper's Friend. What about polished chrome for a strainer or GD flange? Is the finish on polish chrome easily damaged by cleaning products?

Alternatively, are there high quality SS basket strainers made by another company that cost less than the Kohler?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

I don't think chrome can be hurt by anything! Okay, avoid harsh abrasives (although I use Comet and the like with no ill-effect). Bleach is fine. There's a reason chrome has been popular for so long. It's really GOOD.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:05PM
breezygirl

I've used BKF on my polished chrome fixtures (kitchen and bath) for over a decade without issue. I'm not a big bleach user so can't comment on that.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:44PM
kaysd

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm usually a soft scrub girl, but DH feels the need to pour bleach down the drain every so often. Of course, that urge may go away with the nasty sink, disposal and pipes the PO left us, lol.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:53AM
Fori is not pleased

Isn't the active ingredient in Soft Scrub bleach? Or do I just buy the "Soft Scrub with Bleach" version? I used to soak my pink Corian sink overnight in bleach every so often to keep it pink. Chrome can take it. Just ends up shinier. :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 10:24AM
Angie_DIY

I know you have already gotten the message that bleach and oxalic acid (BKF) are safe for chrome. Thought I would point out that the reason stainless steel is stainless is BECAUSE of the chromium that is in it. Chromium forms an oxide on the surface of itself (or on stainless steel) that protects the rest of the metal from corroding.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:33PM
kaysd

Fori, I don't know if all Soft Scrub has bleach, or just the bottlles that say "with Bleach."

Angie, thanks for the explanation -- good to know!

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Laminate seams around sink... Is this acceptable?
Hello everyone! I love reading these forums but have...
summ_md
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
White Kitchens & Two Tone Kitchens?
Even though I know I sound very indecisive (sorry),...
annaw_123
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™