PDF on house styles, mostly var of Craftsman bungalows

marys1000July 5, 2008

I was surfing and while this pdf file is a city in California's website concentrating on mostly bungalows it has a description of several other early 1900 styles and pictures of each with descriptions. I'm posting because I've seen several questions here of "what is this house's style" and think it might help some people

Here is a link that might be useful: architectural styles, early 1900s

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marys1000

Ok, apologies for posting the pdf. Apparently pdf's on this subject abound and there probably wasn't a need to post this one.
I'm learning a lot from all of them so while I'm here to sink this thread I might as well post an even slightly more broad based and informative pdf.
I particularly liked that it gave the really simple farm houses I see around here a style name - the Homestead Style. Although many of the ones around here don't even have the porch.

Here is a link that might be useful: architectural styles, early 1900s

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 10:17AM
mom2lilenj

Thank you for posting this pdf, marys1000. I too am learning a lot about house styles. The more I read and look the more I think my house is a rural version of Italianate. But it's hard, at least for me, to tell when dealing with simpler houses. Often times those architecture style guides only show the big fancy houses. Which is fine, but I like to see common simple houses that are all over the place here. And while they may not have all the fancy woodwork they are still beautiful in their own right.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:05AM
kimkitchy

Just for fun, I'm adding a link to a Craftsman Style Guide (which I think is published in Glendale, CA.).

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Style Guide

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Stripper for stripper-resistant paint?
I'm having a tough time removing multiple layers of...
dilettante_gw
Anyone know what this is?????
Does anyone on the forum know what this is? Found it...
John0087
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™