How to fix minor peeling on a tin ceiling?

la_koalaJuly 25, 2007

Hi,

My husband and I bought an 1900's house a year ago, and one of the rooms has a tin ceiling, painted white. I noticed on the floor the other day a paint flake and looked up to see a small area on the ceiling where the paint had flaked off. It is about 1/2 inch in diameter or less--but the paint looks flaky around the now-bare spot.

Is there a way that we can "touch-up" the peeling area and avoid having to fix the entire ceiling?

I haven't examined the bare spot closely enough yet to see if there's some systemic issue. The rest of the ceiling looks perfect. We live in an area of summer humidity and salt air, so I'd like to know what to do in case the environment is just going to make it worse.

You can assume that we know very little at this point about what questions to ask--I'm just beginning researching on the Web.

Thanks!

--LA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

Remove the flaking paint, prime and top coat. Getting it to match the current color will be the trickiest part of the project unless you know what color it was .
Ron

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 7:56AM
la_koala

Thanks Ron!

At least the first part sounds easy enough. I can see what you mean about matching the current color--the paint looks such a stark white. I'll have to check the paint cans that the previous owner left us and see if anything looks remotely similar.

--LA

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 5:40PM
littledog

When you climb up to remove the rest of the flaking paint, save a few of the largest paint chips to take in and have the color matched by the store computer. If it's a big enough chip, you should also be able to tell what kind of finish it has; eggsheel, satin, gloss, flat...

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 10:50PM
judeNY

If you are down to the bare tin, latex paint will cause it to rust which will bleed through the paint. After you get a good layer of oil based (or whatever the current substitute is) paint covering it then subsequent coats can be latex with no problem.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 10:12PM
la_koala

littledog and judeny, belated thanks for those great tips!

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™