Reusing canning lids

ryseryse_2004September 15, 2013

I know this is a big no-no but I still do it. It used to be you could reuse them easily because they weren't so fragile. The new silver ones are hard to reuse because they always dent when you remove them from the jars.

I no longer reuse them for canning, but use them for vacuum packing sour cream, mayo and cottage cheese that we buy in bulk. I make yogurt in pint jars for my dogs and use them to vacuum seal those also. I only use the ones that are not dented (or ones I can fix) and can get a seal most of the time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

I don't reuse mine for anything that requires a seal, but I do wash and reuse them to cap jars that I use for yogurt in the refrigerator, to store half full (half empty?) jars of jam and pickles, etc, and to use on jars that I store beans, rice, barley and other dry goods in to keep the bugs out.

I do have a friend who reuses them for canning jam, which I do not recommend. She gets a seal "usually", and if jam is moldy she doesn't eat it, but I hate to waste the time, energy and ingredients in an effort to save 15 cents or less.

I have a Food Saver but have never been able to get it to seal of jar of anything, whether the lids are new or used.

Annie

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trixietx

I never reuse them after they have been in the canner. I do use knew lids repeatedly, that have never been in the canner for storing things in the fridge or pantry, mostly bacon grease, used oil or dry ingredients.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™