Painting exterior wood trim

chsclJuly 19, 2014

...moving from paint forum .....ðÂÂÂ

Hello,
We are considering getting the woodwork on the exterior of our home painted and have gotten quotes from several painting contractors.
Since we aren't knowledgable about painting and have experienced shoddy work with previous contractors we would like to know what would be the "right" way to do the paint job? One guy said he would just sand, prime and paint two coats of paint and another guy said for more money he would do it the "more thorough" way which would entail stripping the wood then sand, then prime , then do the two layers of paint. Our home is about 80 years old- so for the most part the wood is buried under layers and layers of paint over the years. I've attached a picture to show everyone what I mean.
Thanks for any opinions and input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mxyplx

It's all in the prep.

You should scrape it with a paint scraper and wire brush it thoroughly (a pleasant task that - wear gogles) before sanding (if you really think sanding is required). You should wash it with detergent or trisodium phosphate. Probly before sanding. If the old paint has stuck good no need to remove it unless you want a perfectly smooth finish. Nobody'll get that close anyway so why bother.

If it's really bad a high pressure water jet might be in order (faster) but be careful to miss the glazing. Then scrape etc as above. I spect a pro painter won't really want to do all that.

Primer and 2 coats will do it tho 1 coat might be OK. I'd do 2. Gets teedjous.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Claw foot tub...best?
I also posted this in the bathroom forum, but though...
monica_thompson
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Best Way to Seal Rubble Foundation Against Water and Radon?
Hi, I am new here, hoping someone can help. We have...
newenglandgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™