drapes for doorway??

scrynJuly 22, 2009

We have been looking for a door for our stair well for years now and can't find one (the doorway is very tall and thin because we have an old farmhouse). We want a door because all the heat goes straight up the stairwell during the winter and the living room is cold then.

So, I happen to be pretty good at sewing and have pondered making a nice curtain for the door way. I found some beautiful fabric however I am not sure if anyone has done this and if it would look really wierd. We would keep the curtain pulled back during the summer months or when we don't need to keep any heat downstairs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjra

I've been in old farmhouses in Europe where this is common (also a heavy curtain near the exterior door to keep the heat in). I don't think it looks weird, although I would keep it open when anyone was over.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:03AM
calliope

I have an ancient house, and there are doors to most of the rooms, but there were no clothes presses, since it was built when armoires were common. I have drapes to all the closets we have built in, and also a drape to a small bedroom downstairs. I put a drape to it since it was remodeled as a bedroom for a wheelchair bound person and a lot less cumbersome to access than a door. It looks fine.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 12:24PM
palimpsest

These curtains were called portieres and they mounted on rods that are similar to shower curtain rods, set in the jamb of the doorway. (usually with rings)

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 6:26PM
scryn

palimpsest: thanks for the name of the curtains! I couldn't find any images on line when I looked up "doorway curtain" but when I looked up "portieres" I see lots of images !

Mmm, Now I wonder if I should match the curtain in the stairwell doorway to the curtains on the window in the room, also maybe I should make curtains for a wider doorway in the same room, because it gets very cold in the adjacent room in the winter. Mmmm..

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 8:37AM
idie2live

scryn, your post brought back lots of memories of when I was younger and every penny was precious! The house I live in is the first time we ever had any modern heating (the heat came from a furnace in the hallway). There were lots of times I had no money to heat even this small house I have. I put a curtain between the bedrooms and the kitchen/living rooms. The LR/kitchen was left cold (or hot in summer) so I heated just the back part of the house. I can still remember scurrying in and out of that ice cold kitchen to cook meals! Even though there is a door to close off the L/R now - I still don't heat or cool it most of the time. Oh, by btw, back then my L/R furniture was gold crushed velvet, so naturally I put up a gold curtain when I closed those rooms off. lol I don't know where you live, but my sister lives in maryland and her heating bills are enormous. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
stone house
Do any of you out there own a real stone house? Not...
seydoux
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Sponsored Products
Elegant Designs Lamps 61 in. Trendy Sheer Red Shade Floor Lamp with Hanging
$80.98 | Home Depot
Harvest Gold Narrow Zig Zag Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag
Lamps Plus
Resort Bedskirt
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Ceremony Mini Chandelier by Slamp
$1,288.00 | Lumens
Lemon Grass Hand-woven Cotton Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Varaluz | Swept Away 6 Light Chandelier
$649.00 | YLighting
108 inch Essential Tablecloth
Ballard Designs
Window Accents Austin Plaid Woven Rod Pocket 3 Piece Tier and Valance Set Multic
$13.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™