Tin Ceilings!

vjrntsJuly 18, 2005

Who was looking for tin ceilings? There's a place here in Rochester, NY that seems to have a good inventory of them. In fact, they have a lot of old house stuff.

I'm not connected with the company in any way; in fact, I've never even been into the store, although now that I have an old house, I might venture in. But I thought this might be a source for some of you who are looking for specific things.

Historic House Parts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scryn

Hi, I am from Rochester and I visit this place all the time. They do have alot of nice stuff. sometimes things are a bit pricey, however there are some good deals to be had.

We just went there last week and bought some picture rail for 1.25 a ft. Not too bad. It was painted. The un-painted stuff was 1.50 a ft. They have alot of stuff that is hard to find so we visit them often.

I think they have both new and used tin ceiling. I would recommend buying some new stuff. It is easier to find what you want and it will fit your room. The used stuff is often painted too, which means you have to be concerned about lead paint when fixing it up.
-renee

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 8:57AM
johngelbard

I went on google and found great new tin ceilings from a place in Canada (I forget the name). My kitchen is about 15x16 and I think it cost about $800. Installation is easy, especially if you use a small nail gun.

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 2:16PM
Marvin Forssander-Baird

Unfortunately, I had to gut my entire kitchen to the walls in my 1901. Trying to figure out what to do with some pretty nasty holes that were knocked into the ceiling got me to thinking. One day it just hit me. The original owner had put tin tiles on the ceiling in one of the basement rooms. They don't match, but they coordinate beautifully. I can't wait to move them (carefully) up to the kitchen.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 4:03PM
calliope

eaglerock, I had found that place in Canada too. I am seriously considering putting a tin ceiling in my bath. There are more than a couple old stores in a nearby town with tin ceilings. I remember a candy store with them and a lot of vendors covered them up with those cheap drop tiles. One day, if the right person buys one of those buildings, I suspect the tin will again come out to enjoy.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 6:08PM
worthy

Probably Brian Greer. Though, oddly, when I purchased a load of 7" cornices, I found the best deal in Florida.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
lucy132
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Hot water radiators
We own a 1900 home which has forced hot water heating...
alexia10
Sponsored Products
Fascination Nevada Six-Light Chandelier
$799.00 | Bellacor
SLV Lighting | Light Eye Wall / Ceiling Light
$248.00 | YLighting
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Classic 21 in. White Bell Shade SFL921
$59.15 | Home Depot
Coastal Pennant Giclee 24" Wide 4-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Kichler Olympia 5 Light Mini Chandelier - 16.5W in. Olde Bronze - 1678OZW
$275.22 | Hayneedle