Thank goodness I've found you! and an actual question

Lady_DriverJuly 12, 2013

Hello all,
I'm so pleased to have found fellow older house enthusiasts. I need the ammunition. My DH and I will be updating our 1920's bungalow next year and the battle lines are already being drawn regarding the California cooler, the dumbwaiter, and the built-ins in the dining room.

My first question is regarding picture windows. Could mine be original? There are two. One is in the living room and one is in the dining room. Both face what was probably a dramatic river view in 1923. Darn those trees than insist upon growing. Every outward sign makes them seem as if they were a part of the original house.The very distinctive trim matches. I know that picture windows weren't common in the twenties, but I've seen ads in house beautiful magazines of the era with picture windows. I don't really want to mess with them if I don't have to.

I have lots more questions, comments and pictures. This is just an easy intro. I've even got a twenties "nano wall" because everything old is new again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Architect Louis Sullivan invented the picture window composition (of a wide fixed panel flanked by two operable double-hungs) in 1899, when it was dubbed the Chicago Window.
So yours from the 20's is hardly groundbreakingly early.
Casey

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:30AM
katy-lou

Our 1920 house has them too - had three of them but someone previously took one out to but in doors to a patio! Argh

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:58AM
lazy_gardens

What's a "California Cooler"?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:03AM
calliope

If you can integrate the 'california cooler' into your designs, you should keep it, and not just to preserve the historical integrity. It's a handy and ecologically correct way to store root vegetables and coming back into style. Neither would I remove original built-ins unless they are just plain pug ugly. It's very much a part of the charms of that era. The dumb waiter? I've never seen one kept original in my area, but have seen and used laundry chutes. I've heard they are considered a possible fire hazard however.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 12:53PM
chibimimi

What style is your home? Could we see a picture? That will tell us more about whether the picture windows are original than the date does.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:21PM
lazy_gardens

I've seen those cupboards, but didn't know they had a specific name ... it's where my aunt in Monterey kept her potatoes and cheese and things that needed to be kept coolish but not refrigerated.

It would be excellent for red wine!

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:54PM
renovator8

Battle lines? With whom are you fighting?

The most important issues regarding large glass panels is the local climate, fuel cost, codes, orientation and shade but we don't know much about those issues. Consider all aspects of a design issue before making a decision or you might have to do it again later.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
New windows in kitchen for 1926 house
We are planning a kitchen and bathroom remodel in our...
crl_
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Radon
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
ilovemytrees
Sponsored Products
Candice Brushed Nickel Three-Light Pendant w/Pleated White Shade
$369.99 | Bellacor
Cottage Bed Frame in White
$149.00 | LexMod
Steve Madden Lani Cotton Comforter/Duvet Set - 203782
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Chrome Four-Light Bath Vanity Fixture
$160.20 | Bellacor
Cream Distressed Pedestal Frame
$17.99 | zulily
Kraus KBU11-KPF2210-KSD30 Single Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink with Faucet - KBU
$409.95 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™