Need to reduce pots and pans

coastalstitcherJune 27, 2010

I have a small kitchen with limited storage space. Most of the cabinets are narrow and not suited to storing bigger pots. I have a small upright wooden wardrobe with a hanger on one side that I use to hang them. I also have stacked them in the floor of this cabinet. That means it's hard to find what I need without having to remove stuff. I have a pressure cooker that came with 2 different of pots. I wonder would there be a problem with using them as everyday pots and getting rid of the others? They are pretty heavy. The only problem I can see is that they don't have regular lids in case I wanted to cover something while it cooks.

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Although it's possible I don't think it's a good idea. If they're heavy it would take a long time to heat and cool down. Just think how hard it would be to drain things with a heavy pot. Is it possible to put a few cleats in your wardrobe and shelves on top of the cleats or put some standards up the sides to hold shelves. Even 1 extra shelf would give you room for storage. A lid rack would allow you to stack your regular pots

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 4:53PM
coastalstitcher

Thanks, You are right about the weight issue. I'll look into that lid storage idea.

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 9:13AM
lowspark

I absolutely would not ever use a pressure cooker pot for anything other than its intended use. Too easy to get lax about it and have an accident.

Here's a horror story a friend told me. Her sister in law was using a pressure cooker pot to boil water. She put the pressure cooker lid on it to speed up the process. She didn't lock the lid into place, just laid it on top.

Well, unfortunately the pot pressurized anyway and when she lifted the lid, the water exploded everywhere. She suffered some bad burns.

Now, it's easy to say, well I'd never do that! But my point is, a PC is good for one purpose and once you get away from that purpose, it's easy to do something without thinking that can have bad results.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
storage cabinets
We recently moved into a townhouse. I have a small...
gnpa
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™