Source for interior transom windows?

bevangel_i_h8_h0uzzJuly 23, 2007

This is my first posting although I've been reading the forums here for several months and have found y'all to be a great source of information!

I'm getting ready to build a "new old-house" and am in the "specify everything" stage. Can anyone point me to a source for operable transom windows to be used over interior doors? The only transom windows I've been able to locate are for exterior, entry-way doors and appear to be double-paned, inoperable, and often aluminum or vinyl clad. I'm looking for 12" to 16" high, 32" wide transoms with stain-quality wood frames that can be opened. I need eight of them. Since they'll be used over interior doors. I see no point in paying for double or triple glazing. Would love it if I could find old stained-glass transoms that would fit without paying an "arm & a leg" for them but am willing to live without the stained glass for now.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Alot of your bigger antique stores have them and alot of times everything you need.Dont know where youre from but Lancaster Pa, Renningers,and black Angus probably have them.

    Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 6:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm in central Texas and have not had any luck finding these in local antique stores. The occasional windows I find are never the right size. Need to find a source on the web if at all possible so was hoping to find someone manufacturing "replacement" interior transoms.

    Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 4:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Any custom millwork shop can make these for you, in the wood of your choice. Find a local shop. They can also make the doors and jambs if you like.

    Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There is a company in North Carolina that makes some really cool interior transoms. They have just about anything you would ever want. Great source! Go to

    Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just checked out the company above, and they have a 12x32 for $70. I'd check with a local millwork place for a competitive bid, that way no shipping fees.
By the way, when I was house-hunting, all the interior transoms I saw, and ones in friends' houses, were plain glass for interiors--only exterior transoms had muntins or stained glass. My own transom over the front door is stained, an art nouveau pattern--while that over the back door is plain. The front one matches my sidelight.

    Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 11:59PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Adding a full bath to an old house.
Hello, first post in this forum. I am relocating and...
Need color help with exterior paint on 1902 Victorian with bad siding
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before,...
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™