Source for interior transom windows?

bevangel_i_h8_h0uzzJuly 23, 2007

This is my first posting although I've been reading the forums here for several months and have found y'all to be a great source of information!

I'm getting ready to build a "new old-house" and am in the "specify everything" stage. Can anyone point me to a source for operable transom windows to be used over interior doors? The only transom windows I've been able to locate are for exterior, entry-way doors and appear to be double-paned, inoperable, and often aluminum or vinyl clad. I'm looking for 12" to 16" high, 32" wide transoms with stain-quality wood frames that can be opened. I need eight of them. Since they'll be used over interior doors. I see no point in paying for double or triple glazing. Would love it if I could find old stained-glass transoms that would fit without paying an "arm & a leg" for them but am willing to live without the stained glass for now.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie

Alot of your bigger antique stores have them and alot of times everything you need.Dont know where youre from but Lancaster Pa, Renningers,and black Angus probably have them.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 6:53AM
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

I'm in central Texas and have not had any luck finding these in local antique stores. The occasional windows I find are never the right size. Need to find a source on the web if at all possible so was hoping to find someone manufacturing "replacement" interior transoms.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 4:41PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Any custom millwork shop can make these for you, in the wood of your choice. Find a local shop. They can also make the doors and jambs if you like.
Casey

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 10:51PM
clay_superiorhomes_yahoo_com

There is a company in North Carolina that makes some really cool interior transoms. They have just about anything you would ever want. Great source! Go to Transomsdirect.com

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 4:12PM
columbusguy1

Just checked out the company above, and they have a 12x32 for $70. I'd check with a local millwork place for a competitive bid, that way no shipping fees.
By the way, when I was house-hunting, all the interior transoms I saw, and ones in friends' houses, were plain glass for interiors--only exterior transoms had muntins or stained glass. My own transom over the front door is stained, an art nouveau pattern--while that over the back door is plain. The front one matches my sidelight.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Ceiling after dormer
Riddle me this. I am living in a 1910 1 3/4 story bungalow with...
fredsoldhouse
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™