what to work on first?

rabbit8June 21, 2009

I purchased a I house that was built in 1935. It was a boarding house at first I was told. I'm mainly concerned about the floor in two of the bedrooms. The wooden floors are covered with carpet.After walking on them for the last 10 years, I can feel areas (with my feet) that seems to be uneven underneath the carpet and in one of the bedrooms the boards in one of the bedrooms seems to be loose. I need some advice as to what steps to take to remedy this problem without spending a lot of money. Please give advice. I do thank you for your assistance in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If it's just loose boards, you can nail through the carpet. There are even special screws, whose name escapes me, for that purpose.

Of course, to really find out what's going on and repair properly you have to remove the carpet.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 8:47PM
haus_proud

When we replaced our kitchen vinyl floor, the floor was uneven in one place because of an old leak. To correct the problem, the damaged part of the floor was removed and replaced. Then a new, thin subfloor was installed throughout the floor. I forgot what they call it. It's sort of a thin plywood made specially for that purpose. Floor dealers use it all the time.

If your floor problem does not involve water damage, you probably will not have to replace any damaged part. Just cover it with that thin plywood, and you'll have a nice smooth surface. Then you can lay whatever finished floor you want over that -- carpet, wood, etc.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 5:21PM
Billl

If you want to fix the problem, you really need to find out what is wrong. A squeaky board might be fixed with a nail or screw. A structural defect may require considerable effort and expense to fix. Minor damage can usually be addressed relatively cheaply if you are in the process of replacing carpet. We (and you) aren't going to know what it entails though until you find out what is actually wrong.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
interesting plaster job - what to do to fix it?
I'm doing some work in my dining room that includes...
mccb1
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
Oh crap, plaster crack
I was removing a window casing so I could reposition...
graywings123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™