What style of architecture is my house?

alexcpJune 21, 2010

It was built around 1896, although the assessor property records say it was built in 1910. It is located north of Boston, in Newburyport, MA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Victorian with a bit of Gothic revival/Queen Anne in the form of the truncated turret. Absurd shutters undoubtedly a later "improvement".

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 11:04PM
macv

Simple Greek Revival with modest Victorian embellishments.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 12:41PM
worthy

Yes, I mixed up my Revivals.

But, as with most homes, I doubt the builder/draftsman gave much thought to anything other than, "I like that." After all, what's a "greek revival" without columns?

Greek Revival

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 1:04PM
Carol_from_ny

Most houses are not one pure style or another. They are very often a mish mash of styles. Builders very often took elements that they liked from one house in the neighborhood and added it to the next house they built. They also added things or changed things up depending on what materials were available or offered cheaply.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 7:03PM
worthy

It seems to me that only trained designers, architectural enthusiasts and historians consciously follow certain precedents and show the influences of consistent historical styles. Or at least know when they're breaking and mixing them.

Others just draw and build what comes naturally.

724 Evergreen Terrace: What Style is this house?

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 8:00PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Snout?

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 12:31AM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Oh, alexcp, I should have clarified that I was answering worthy's question "What Style is this house?"

Your house is charming--I love the bays, and the porch, especially the crisp white rails.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 12:52AM
alexcp

mama goose,
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 10:52PM
theresse

Alex, it's a fabulous house! How many sq. ft./bedrooms?

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 4:12PM
alexcp

theresse,
Thanks! It is about 2,066 square feet and has 4 bedrooms.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 12:37AM
alexcp

Thanks so much for your help, everybody!
I have one more question. My mom says she's seen a marble plaque with the year "1899" written on it somewhere in the attic (I've never been able to find it). The confusing part is that the property records say it was built in 1910, which I wouldn't normally believe, but the interior moldings look exactly like another house from 1910. Can anyone tell what approximate year it was built?
Thanks,
Alex

P.S. Here is a pic of one of the moldings
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uSdV9Le2GKQ/TESq_aw6VPI/AAAAAAAAABQ/JVo07wXmiHw/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-07-19+at+3.42.54+PM.png

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 3:47PM
palimpsest

The picture is kind of small, corner blocks, bulls-eyes or rosettes were used for a long time. My building (c. 1840) has them, while others in the neighborhood up to 1890s have them with slight variations. Around here the millwork tended to be more crisply incised earlier in the 19th century and had a softer more rounded profile more toward 1900.

Also after 1900 the cornerblock started to disappear, being replaced by a more craftsman style lintel across the top of the door, but the corner block may have been used in secondary areas.

This would vary a lot by region. I live in an East Coast urban area that was very fashionable in the 19th century so the trends were ahead of more rural, or other parts of the country.

The records often seem to be wrong about when an older house was built for some reason.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
How to get rid of the spiders?!
I love my old house, but so do spiders. My finished...
misslori
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
White Cedar Shingles: Best price?
Hi all, My wife and I are gearing up to restore the...
dmatlosz
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™