new uses for old canisters

mommamareJune 15, 2009

What other uses can I use my old canisters? I recently remodeled my kitchen and received a new set of canisters that goes better with the new kitchen. I love my "old" canisters and wondered what else or where else I could use them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Conventional canisters hold sugar, coffee, flour, sugar. How about dry cereal, beans, macaroni in the old ones?

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 3:21PM
mvastian

Laundry room comes to mind...

Maria

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 6:35AM
claire_de_luna

I use mine for storage of medicines; individual portions of nuts, M&M's, crackers, etc. for lunches; freshly washed green food bags. In the past I've used them for receipts, coupons, small electronics, dog food/treats. You just have to figure out what the greatest need is, in a way that you will actually use them in the location you want.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 2:59PM
Karen_sl

Under the kitchen sink for those dishwasher thingys...cascade or whatever they are. Dog treats too!
The small ones in the bathroom for cotton balls.
Karen L

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 5:30PM
justgotabme

What do they look like? Are they decorative? In a color that could work in another room possibly? Or will you need to use them behind doors?
I bought a set of three of the glass ones to use in the master bath. Wasn't sure what I was going to put in them until I got home. One holds cotton balls, one cotton swabs and one facial tissures. If you buy the kind that fold into each other and pulls the next one up when you take the top one you won't have reach down in for them.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 8:34PM
mustangs81

Claire--I like the coupon repository idea.

Like Clair, I am a fan of repurposing things. My old canisters are now in the laundry room labeled to identify detergents and additives. I even used an empty detergent box for a planter. I painted the tops of Voss water bottle then filled them with different detergent liquids.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:40AM
talley_sue_nyc

You know, Mustangs, I just realized I could use vinyl letters for my white Bee House canisters, to keep them straight. (that's what you used, right?)

I have contemplated labeling them with a P-touch, but it's sort of small.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 4:38PM
mustangs81

Talley_Sue, I had them made at the car decal booth at the flea market. But, I have used letters from the sheet of letters that you get from Staples type stores for all of my laundry sorting bins and other items.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 8:10PM
justgotabme

Mustangs, I so love your laundry room and drool everytime I see a picture of it.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
More organizing for my Mom
My Mom's apartment has cheap, inefficient kitchen cabinets....
annkh_nd
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Why I look in the box before tossing
One of the boxes I recently sorted through was marked...
talley_sue_nyc
Get rid of cookbooks, and cook more?
About a year ago, I got rid of most of my cookbooks...
quasifish
How to get your kid (young, or young adult, or adult) to declutter
On one of the other threads (the "madwoman"...
talley_sue_nyc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™