Lighting diagram help

Whit461February 5, 2013

Hopefully the pictures come out. There are 2 options right now for lighting in our remodel kitchen. Dims are 13x14, no uppers in the U shaped kitchen, and tall cabinets along the one wall. 3 large windows on the sink wall. We are planning on using mostly CR6 bulbs, the Ecosmart screw in trim/bulb combo into Halo 6"E housing (H71CT). Option 1 has 11 cans basically on 3 foot spacing, while option 2 has only 8 cans on 4 foot spacing. In the 2nd, there would be less lights by the range, though we will have a range hood with lights.

Help with thoughts. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle16

Hi whit, I believe you asked me about lighting on another thread. My high hats were there already from my previous kitchen. But my husband does electrical, so I will ask him. Is your question should there be 3 or 4 feet spacing between cans? I know he always says the more light the better, esp. in a kitchen!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:04PM
Whit461

Hi Michelle. No worries. At ~$50/light, I don't want to make it look like an airport runway. I want a balanced flood of light in the kitchen, on the workspaces. Is #1 too many? #2 too few? Should there be something in the middle?

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:15PM
live_wire_oak

The ceiling height will have a great deal to do with the size and placement of recessed lights. You also want to be sure that you spec ICAT (Insulation Contact Air Tight) Otherwise, you're putting too much heat into your attic space and it will cause a lot of problems with mixing conditioned and unconditioned air.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:58PM
Whit461

Of course. Ceilings are 9'. There is a 2nd floor above the ceiling, not an attic. And there is no insulation between floors (we live in FL). Joists are 10", so plenty of space for a 6" can. We are tearing down old ceiling because of wiring issues (k&t),so we will have new ceiling to work with. Also, though there is always heat, using LED lighting should dramatically reduce that?

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Floor for White Kitchen?
Our original plan was wood look tile with white cabinets....
annaw_123
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Anyone have solid walnut slab cabinets?
Howdy! We're trying to decide if we want to do walnut...
Fori is not pleased
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™