Stone Hood Surround

myhappyspaceFebruary 8, 2013

Hello, I posted this on the home building board, but I thought this might be a good place to check too. We are doing stone going up and surrounding our cooktop/hood. I am trying to pick out a stone I would like, but I have a much easier time when seeing pictures of it. I've checked out houzz, but there aren't a ton on there.

Has anyone done this, or have a stone you like for that look? I'd prefer it not to look too rustic or country, if that makes sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

By "stone," do you mean a (literally) monolithic slab of stone, or do you mean a collection of smaller stones set in a mortar?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 11:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldryder

I am a fabricator.

We've done this at my shop a couple of times. can be a challenge as considerable attention must be paid to the structure that is going to support the stone. requires some complicated mitered corners to make it look the best. very possible but takes an above average skill set from all three fabrication trades (measure, fabricate, & install)

also, the hood tends to be a greasy area so you want a very well sealed or resined stone or the stone will eventually darken from oil contamination.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
help with kitchen layout
Thoughts on this kitchen layout? What do you think...
Leigh-Ann Draheim
scrappy25 renovation Part 4, final reveal, white inset/soapstone
Finally got some "completed" pictures, please...
scrappy25
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™