Iron fence source: passably period and not too expensive?

jlc102482June 1, 2010

I want to enclose my front yard with an iron fence, as the sidewalk is close to my house and my next-door neighbors have lately taken to "overlapping" into my property. I have an 1857 Victorian (subtype is indeterminate!) and would like the fence to have some kind of vaguely historically accurate design to match the house. However, I have not been able to find anything fitting that description in my price range. I can't really go any higher than $100 per 6-foot long panel. Everything I've seen at that price is too modern looking. Does anyone have any ideas?

I need 60 feet of it, either 4 foot or 5 foot in height. I know I'm not going to get anything super fancy for that price, and that is okay. I just don't want to settle for a modern Home Depot-esque type, because I think that would clash horribly with the house.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antiquesilver

I've no idea how expensive it is, but have you checked with someone who makes wrought iron doors & fences? Something simple like a hairpin design would probably be appropriate & shouldn't be too labor intensive to make. Other than that, have you considered planting a hedge to keep the neighbors at bay?

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 11:42PM
jcoxmd

I went through this about 4 years ago and ended up ordering off ebay. We have a great looking cast iron fence-appropriate for our 120 year old house, and I remember it was about a third of what anyone locally wanted. I can't find my records or the same seller on ebay tonight, but I searched "iron fence" and came up with one that is $99 for a 5 foot section, based on an 1840s design. If I come across my notebook from that project (it's bugging me that I can't find it), I'll update here.

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 11:53PM
honorbiltkit

It would be worthwhile to try your local craigslist over a few weeks or to check any nearby architectural salvage or non-profit building materials re-use places. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 12:16AM
slateberry51

Have you tried King Architectural Metals? They have an enormous catalog. I ordered some strap hinges from them to make my shed more attractive, and their pricing for something cool and old-looking was a fraction of what I saw anywhere else.

I don't see their fencing priced in sections, but one 48" fence piece with finial starts at $2.50. Of course, you need the connecting bars, hardware, endposts, etc., and then installation, but it might come in under your number.

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: King Architectural metals

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 7:09AM
terrypy

Just a note: even in Texas where ordinances are not as strict as out east...most front yards have a max height of 3' for fencing. Also the pointed tops on whats called "cemetary fencing" most often seen in victorian front yards has liability with it due to its height.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Told we had a slate roof--turns out...
...it's asbestos. We bought our lovely, grand 1910...
hgolightly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™