Pink and turquoise bathroom ideas?

karin_sjJune 6, 2013

We're buying a 1939 house and want to paint the inside of the house before we move in. The main bathroom is in fantastic shape and has a lot of charm, so there is no way we're going to redo it too much.

BUT, it has pink and turquoise tile and a very busy floor tile. I have no idea what to paint the walls, but I would like to paint the trim white. Any ideas for me??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karin_sj

Here's an example of the beautiful and well kept up tile:

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 2:55PM
karin_sj

More tile...

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 2:57PM
columbusguy1

Nice vintage tile--I hope you keep it AND the flooring since they work well together! Why not use the turquoise as the wall color, and an ivory for the trim? It will play down the pink a bit and neither looks as intense as the 50s versions of those colors, at least from what I can see.

The cabinet doesn't look original, nor does the toilet from the little bit which is visible--do you know if they are? To me, the valance curtains are a very big obstacle to the room looking great!

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 3:28PM
kelpmermaid

Another vote for aqua or turquoise to play down pink. I have an early 90's "Santa Fe" tile issue with my bathroom. Yours could be worse...you have a white tub. I'm not loving the sink or the valances.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:31PM
chucksmom

savethepinkbathrooms.com

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:47AM
sombreuil_mongrel

IMO it's beige and seafoam not pink and turquiose. The pink of that era is unmistakably PINK! like Pepto Bismol.
Theway the window trim is done up doesn't do anything for the room. A porcelain white is probably better. Match the fixtures (toilet lid to the paint store).
Casey

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 9:42AM
tuesday_2008

I don't think we are getting an accurate color from your pictures. I agree with Casey - the pink look taupe, and I think the turquoise looks like a gray gray/green - Casey is probably right in that it is more of a seafoam color.

You are seeing it in person. Would one of the new popular grays we are seeing a lot of look right? I am thinking Owl Gray if in fact the the turquoise you are referring to has a greyish tint.

If not, I would go with white walls and white trim for a vintage "spa" look. I love tone on tone whites when done right - and I probably don't know how to do it right :). One way to get that look would be a higher gloss on the trim than the walls or a gayish white on the walls and a bright white on the trim.

You might try posting on the Home Decorating forum also - that is a good place for color help.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:53PM
ideagirl2

In our previous house we had a pink and blue bathroom, complete with blue tub and busy pink/blue floor tile. The walls were light blue and we liked the way it looked. Of course, you can't go wrong with white, but there are a million whites to choose from. I'd choose one that has some warmth in it--rosy warmth rather than yellow warmth--so it doesn't look too stark or clinical amidst all that color.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 5:44PM
kashka_kat

I'd like to see a close up of the floor - that to me looks like the oldest, most original tile - I may be wrong but bath & shower look newer/more recent, although done well & very compatible w/ 1930s.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
1850s exterior door hardware?
I have an 1857 Italianate-ish home that is missing...
jlc102482
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
Color advice for new front door
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™