sky light question

mimsicJune 3, 2008

Does anyone have shades on their skylights? I live in a brownstone and have three very large skylights on the top floor. I love the light they provide but I would like to block the heat that they produce during the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

I don't but I know they make skylights with built in blinds that you can open and close with a remote control.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 2:24PM
jegr

Check to see if your skylights have a manufacturer's name on them. Velux and others make shades for their units.
Perhaps, if yours are old models, you could look at those and have some made.

A shade with catches so that the cord ran across the skylight could close it,just as do shades that can be pulled from bottom to top.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 5:08PM
judeNY

I have 2 in my kitchen extension with pleated shades which operate with the same pole that opens the skylights. I ordered them at the window place when I purchased the skylights. I closed the shades today and I won't open them before fall unless I open the skylights to release the heat. The shades make a huge difference. I have 3 skylights on the top floor, none of which have shades and you can feel the heat as you walk under them.

If you have the make and model of your skylights then the window place will know what to order. Otherwise take detailed, accurate dimensions to the window place.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Scraping wallpaper from ceiling
I've been working hard on wallpaper removal in one...
arlosmom
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
introduction
Good afternoon, I just wanted to introduce myself,...
SPM2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™