leveling old farmhouse?

eskotaJune 13, 2010

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 1500 sq' early 1900's farmhouse with very unlevel floors. Realtor says it was moved across the highway "some years back," and it looks to me like it was just set on stacked concrete blocks without any concrete footers. They settled unevenly and now walking through the house is like walking through a funhouse.

What would I be getting into, what would it take to at least get all the foors back into one plane?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

Assuming there are no broken or seriously warped joists or sills, the house would have to be jacked up high enough to build either piers or a full foundation beneath. Then there would likely have to be more very gradual jacking of the floor joists to try and restore them to a level plane. What effect this would have on walls, ceilings, etc. is impossible to foretell with any accuracy. This would be a time consuming and expensive project worth it only if the house itself is a)cheap enough and b)has some intrinsic value.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 6:23AM
eskota

I'm getting an estimate this afternoon, to fix it various ways. Thinking that I can build perimeter foundation walls myself if I can get all of the piers to correct height.

Realtor calls this a "Little House on the Prairie" style house, full length front porch and roof like they do on log cabins. Floor plan is old-timey, with doors between every adjacent room. Of course, no central heat or air, little bathroom, old wiring and windows, likely no insulation in the walls. Great piece of land with mature shrubs and fruit trees, etc. It is pretty cheap, no one bought it when the government had their subsidy program going.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 4:06PM
lavender_lass

It may be too late for this, but I'd recommend getting three estimates on anything this complicated. Be realistic with what you can do yourself and how much money you want to sink into this project.

If the land is nice and the house is affordable, it may be a great deal, but I'd talk to some contractors with good recommendations....then make an informed decision. Some will let you do a good bit of the work to save on cost.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Sanity check: Huge window & shutter repair/replace bill?
Hey folks! I am the proud new-ish owner of 1740s brick...
ahoyhere
This old house plus church!!
Well I need someone to talk with about my latest plunge....
Jason J
Weird things found in old houses
So I went on a basement rampage this weekend, donning...
ideagirl2
Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian house
Hi, I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity...
adamsmile
Should we try to reuse old windows?
I am not sure how old the windows in our second floor...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Sponsored Products
Sterling Acclaim 71090112 60W x 74.25H in. Bathtub Shower Combo with Above Floor
$688.20 | Hayneedle
Block Letter Art Prints
Grandin Road
Blue Whitehaus WHQDB332 Double Bowl Fireclay 33'' Fluted Farmhouse Sink
$719.00 | Blue Bath
New Cat Condos Round Multi Cat Scratcher - 110024 - BEIGE
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Titan Lighting Billiard Lights Farmhouse 2-Light Ceiling Mount Oiled Bronze
Home Depot
Wall End Angle
CliqStudios Cabinets
Tamburo 16 Satin Nickel Three-Light Drum Pendant with Oak Glass