Replacing paster with drywall in kitchen remodel--how thick?

crazykitchen54June 8, 2009

We are planning to begin a kitchen remodel soon. Our home was built in 1954 and has veneer plaster walls and ceilings that are about 3/4-inch thick. We are thinking it will be best to replace this with drywall because we will be removing the existing veneer plaster covered soffits above the cabinets and also a linen closet that protrudes into the breakfast area from a room behind. We also need to update electrical wiring, etc.

Should we use standard 1/2-inch-thick drywall? If so, how do we adjust for the difference in wall thickness where the door and window casings meet the walls? Does anyone recommend using 3/4-inch-thick drywall for this reason? Is that even readily available?

We will run this question by the general contractors we contact, but I would like some idea what to expect.

Thank you,

CK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Yes, they make 3/4" drywall. Yes, it will make your life easier. It sure beats trying to cut down workwork 1/4".

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:32AM
crazykitchen54

billl, thank you for the information. That is good to know! I was concerned the general contractors might tell us we have no choice but to go with 1/2-inch-thick drywall. I would rather pay the difference in cost and use 3/4-inch. I also posted this question on the remodeling forum and learned we have what is called two-coat plaster, not veneer plaster. It consists of 3/8-inch-thick gypsum (rock) lath, covered with about 1/4-inch of "cement" plaster, then approximately 1/8-inch of "finish" plaster. We have a chunk we saved from a damaged area we patched several years ago. It fits that description exactly. CK

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:08PM
Billl

Just a little tip - Before you go and order drywall, take measurements in multiple places. With any handmade product, there are bound to be some inconsistencies.

They also make 5/8" drywall if the plaster is actually slightly less than 3/4". If you have multiple spots like that, it might be easier to go with 5/8" and then take any high spots on the wood down with a hand plane or sander. It is easier to sand a little off a piece of wood than magically stretch it to fill a little gap.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:21PM
crazykitchen54

Billl, We will do that. Thanks again for all the help! CK (I hope this doesn't post twice! This is my second try.)

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
dyhgarden
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
ccintx
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
ferretbee
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
dyhgarden
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™