Replacing paster with drywall in kitchen remodel--how thick?

crazykitchen54June 8, 2009

We are planning to begin a kitchen remodel soon. Our home was built in 1954 and has veneer plaster walls and ceilings that are about 3/4-inch thick. We are thinking it will be best to replace this with drywall because we will be removing the existing veneer plaster covered soffits above the cabinets and also a linen closet that protrudes into the breakfast area from a room behind. We also need to update electrical wiring, etc.

Should we use standard 1/2-inch-thick drywall? If so, how do we adjust for the difference in wall thickness where the door and window casings meet the walls? Does anyone recommend using 3/4-inch-thick drywall for this reason? Is that even readily available?

We will run this question by the general contractors we contact, but I would like some idea what to expect.

Thank you,


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, they make 3/4" drywall. Yes, it will make your life easier. It sure beats trying to cut down workwork 1/4".

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

billl, thank you for the information. That is good to know! I was concerned the general contractors might tell us we have no choice but to go with 1/2-inch-thick drywall. I would rather pay the difference in cost and use 3/4-inch. I also posted this question on the remodeling forum and learned we have what is called two-coat plaster, not veneer plaster. It consists of 3/8-inch-thick gypsum (rock) lath, covered with about 1/4-inch of "cement" plaster, then approximately 1/8-inch of "finish" plaster. We have a chunk we saved from a damaged area we patched several years ago. It fits that description exactly. CK

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just a little tip - Before you go and order drywall, take measurements in multiple places. With any handmade product, there are bound to be some inconsistencies.

They also make 5/8" drywall if the plaster is actually slightly less than 3/4". If you have multiple spots like that, it might be easier to go with 5/8" and then take any high spots on the wood down with a hand plane or sander. It is easier to sand a little off a piece of wood than magically stretch it to fill a little gap.

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Billl, We will do that. Thanks again for all the help! CK (I hope this doesn't post twice! This is my second try.)

    Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 3:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
1939 petite colonial - introduction
I was on GardenWeb for many years under Wonbyherwits,...
Need your ideas for a new-old home,...
We are planning to build a home that appears to be...
Strip flooring with unusual cross section
(Cross posted from Flooring forum) I'm renovating a...
Old-Growth Heart pine paneling -- reused as flooring?
Hi, My new 1939 colonial has a family room and foyer...
Rule of thumb on recreating hardwood floors?
I'm recreating the peg and groove oak hardwood floors...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™