Calcification under paint bubbles in bathroom?

terryrJune 10, 2013

8 years ago, I tore out everything in the full bathroom upstairs. The ceiling is what I was told is a cove ceiling. Everything went except the plaster walls and the floor. I removed wallpaper from the walls. The electrical was updated where it could be in the whole house, the bathroom was one room that had a total redo. It didn't have an exhaust fan, I had one installed. There was a lot of wallpaper paste that wouldn't come off. It was suggested that I use Guards by Zinsser, then use their shellac primer, then I painted with a water based paint. A couple years ago, I noticed on the other side of the bathroom, about a foot from the wall, maybe a foot up from how the wall curves up into the ceiling, that the paint was bubbling. I showed my husband, he had less of a clue than I did, so we did nothing. I noticed the other day that these bubbles had really grown in size. Last night they looked funny, dry. I touched one and it "crackled" under my touch. I thought it was the plaster falling apart. Later that evening, I cut the biggest bubble open and I was able to peel the paint away from the wall. Everything was coming off....the paint and the primer. I could tell that the Guards was still there, I remember it dried shiny. That crunch that I felt? There's something that looks like calcification.

What would cause this? What do we do now? We have a huge area that the primer/paint peeled off. How does one repaint, once the calcification is fixed, so that you don't see that there's a huge chunk of paint missing? There's a lot more than will peel off....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Sounds like the old paste that you did not remove. The Gardz and Bin can only do so much. They were not made to lock down gobs of paste, only residual amounts. You need to remove all that is loose and peeling, remove the paste, re prime with Gardz, skim it with joint compound, sand, clean, repeat until smooth, prime and paint.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 3:07AM
terryr

I didn't leave "gobs" of paste, it was residual. I got as much paste off, using Dif, as I could, then I sanded, trying to get what had been (then was dried), slimy feel of the paste off the walls/ceiling. This calcification, if that's what it is, is on top of the Gardz, on top of the shine left by the Gardz. This calcification is in a few spots, and it's a few lines. Not round, not square, not oblong, not all over...just these few lines.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:51AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Then, you got me. Got any pics?

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:15PM
terryr

...there's this one...

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 6:58PM
terryr

...and this one...these are the only ones....

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:01PM
terryr

...and it looks like this....

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:03PM
maryinthefalls

My DH, who knows about such things, says it looks like outgassing. Something in or under the shellac was his guess. Sorry, but no help on how to fix it or why it waited so long to leave.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:00PM
terryr

Thank you maryinthefalls....but I'm confused! What shellac? Does he mean the Gardz?

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:08PM
terryr

Thank you maryinthefalls....but I'm confused! What shellac? Does he mean the Gardz?

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:09PM
terryr

I dunno why it posted that twice...i see edit...FYI for me, how do I delete?

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 9:14PM
maryinthefalls

The shellac primer will act like a coat of straight shellac and form a coating which when the gases (alcohol or moisture) try to escape, it forms bubbles like you described. There are probably more bubbles that you can't see or feel; that caused the paint to fail in that area. He doesn't know where the gases came from and whether or not it will happen again. We are newbies at these old houses, but we would sand, reprime and paint again. And hold our breath that it doesn't happen again. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 8:22AM
terryr

ohhh...eee gads! THAT shellac...lol...duh as my daughter would say!

I used the shellac primer everywhere in this house...does being in the bathroom have something to do with it I wonder??

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Craftsman tile question
I recently visited a friend who lives in a beautiful...
lalala
Extruded Mortar
I have an older home built in the 1950`s which has...
calgaryhhr
1940 house (colonial) need period lighting advice
Hi! I'm really trying to stick with lighting that would...
Carolyn
Stair striping and refinishing advice
I ve been stripping and refinishing my stairs in my...
marleeOLDHouse
Just closed on an older home and homeowners policy was cancelled
Six days ago, we closed on the house of our dreams,...
KristinaMonaLisa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™