Does hanging a hoodie stretch or damage it irreversibly?

michael00693May 29, 2011

Does hanging a hoodie (or generally stretchable clothes) stretch or damage it irreversibly? If the effects are temporary then it's fine, but I'm worried that if I hang it for a long time (say a month or more) it will stretch irreversibly.

So, what is the best way to store a hoodie?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camlan

All depends on what it's made of and what you are hanging it from.

The looser the knit, the more damage hanging will cause. A hook might cause more damage than a hanger.

If we're talking about the typical hoodie made of sweatshirt-type fabric, with cotton and maybe a little spandex, hanging most likely won't hurt it. There might be a "bump" in the fabric where the hook or the end of the hanger was, but washing and drying the hoodie will make that disappear.

But if you're thinking of hanging a good wool sweater--well, those can stretch out if hung too long and they might not go back to their original shape. So for a fine cotton or wool sweater, I'd fold it and store it in a drawer or on a shelf.

The more you can stretch a knit fabric, with or without spandex, the greater the risk of harming it by hanging.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colorcrazy

I'm in total agreement with Camlan. The only thing I want to add is that a padded hanger can prevent "bumps" on some items. I hang my velour hoodies on the curved clear plastic hangers and have not had a problem. I hang some good sweaters and keep others in a drawer; it depends on the tightness of the knit.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
More organizing for my Mom
My Mom's apartment has cheap, inefficient kitchen cabinets....
annkh_nd
The ultimate organizer
Two words: WORKSHOP PEGBOARD !!!!!! :)
lazy_gardens
Cleaning Service--what do you have them do?
I enjoy reading this forum and now understand the difference...
bstnjohn
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™