Mudroom alternative

pasmackMay 28, 2011

We are moving into a new home in which there is no mudroom--the only drawback. The garage opens onto the kitchen, as does a very large basement, and the laundry room. The garage has a keyless entry pad, so this might be the way in which my children go in and out of the house. There is a medium size foyer that I'd like to keep as clutter free as possible, and a small front porch.

Any ideas about alternatives to a mud room ( for children's shoes, balls, backpacks, umbrellas dog leash, etc)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

Well, I made a cabinet w/ locker-like cubbies, shelves for shoes, etc. And placed it by the door.

Sort of a mudroom-in-a-cabinet setup.

Hooks or shoe pockets on the side, etc.

You could do that in the garage.

I don't know there might be room for this along a wall shortly after you get inside the front door.

Remember also that you don't HAVE to put all the mudroom-type activities in the same place.

School backpacks, dog leashes, etc., can go in a "dry mudroom" inside; a row of hooks in the kitchen just inside the back door can hold coats if necessary; and boots, sports gear, etc., can go in the garage.

Whatever works in your house.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 10:08PM
jannie

When I was a kid, we had two entrances to our house. The front door, which only company used. And an entrance through the garage. It was a large garage, 2 and a half cars. (Now, no one owns a half-car). Mom had put a redwood bench in the garage, right near the door, which led to the kitchem. And a coat tree. And a shelf above the coat tree. As we went in and out, we'd sit on the bench. Boots were stored under the bench (she had a drip-tray for melting snow). coats on the coat tree. Mittens and hats on the shelf. Of course it depends on the configuration of each house.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 11:30AM
lazy_gardens

Lockers and coat hooks inside the garage, at the door into the kitchen.

Just grab some space.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Are Lazy Susans useless or is it just me?
I'm in the process of revamping underutilized areas...
Mmmbeeer
"You Need a 'Waiting' Folder"--AskAManager has great advice
This is not just work--this would be great on a personal...
talley_sue_nyc
Please recommend a good paper shredder
I have a little one that can shred two sheets (max)...
bossyvossy
Useful article on closets from TOH
I'm impressed with this article from This Old House,...
violetwest
Missing the Garden Web Already
I feel betrayed by the sale of the Garden Web to Houzz....
gardenwebcupofkindness
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™