Removing dropped ceiling in living room
We had to open a small hole in the ceiling of the living room in a 1905 house I recently bought because of plumbing issues, there had been a leak and the small spot had to be repaired.
I had figured out already that there had been at some point drywall installed throughout the bottom floor of the house over the plaster/lath and was thinking about having a drywall expert come in this week and skim coat and make the walls smooth, redoing the front wall while repairing another wall etc.
Anyways after finding that the ceiling had been dropped - obviously to cover up a bad ceiling - about a foot from the plaster, I'm dreaming that I could remove the dropped ceiling as it would make the original framing around the windows look better. The room would be more original to it's era.
Problem is of course if the dropped ceiling, with it's framing is removed, then it opens a can of worms - there will be a one foot gap from the ceiling to the drywall over plaster on the walls. A handyman claims he can fix this, I've read that it's best to have drywall only guys with lots of experience do drywall. But the drywall only company told me they can't give me a bid until the demo is done so they can see what there is to work with.
So I do think handyman and I can demo the livingroom ourselves - but what happens when the ceiling is removed to the walls? And at this point would it be better to just demo the walls as well? I'd like to get the walls back to "normal" if I could so that the drywall doesn't stick out so far that the original framing around windows looks so obvious... not very thick now.
The cost to put a bandaide on top of an already done bandaide of having the drywall guys skim coat and fix walls next week is almost $2500 - I'm starting to wonder if it would be just as cost effective for handyman and I to demo walls and just start with a fresh slate? I understand drywallers can work quite fast and put up new drywall in just a few days, and it's a few days to do this work. It doesnt' appear that the drywalling company cares either way if they'd make the same now does it? (note, whine about companies not seeming to care)
Anyways I have just a few days to make a decision about this - telling drywallers scheduled to bandaide the home late this week to do it, or tell them to just go upstairs, skim coat and make the top floor (already removed plaster/with drywall that shows drywall tape in ceilings and doesn't have nice rounded corners) pretty and wait for me to decide about the downstairs, or demo the downstairs in the meantime. Upstairs is two rooms and a bath, down is a bath, master, livingroom and hallway.
Thanks for any advice in advance