countertops

seydouxFebruary 12, 2014

For a multitude of reasons we chose to purchase this kitchen. We are finally at the point where we can install it! However, I can not stand the granite and so we will be using another counter top. So the question is soap stone or River White granite? The floors are going to be reclaimed heart pine. It is an interesting kitchen in that it will be modern, but we are preserving or replacing all the traditional architectural elements of the house, like what they do in Europe. The far wall is exposed stone.( that is the wall of the house). We have three French doors, no windows, and 4 levels of lighting. Gimbal spots, pendants and under counter lights. So thoughts on which countertop would look best

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookncarpenter

With the reclaimed heart pine floors, I think soapstone would be a great choice.
We have knotty pine walls, ceiling, and cabinets in our kitchen with soapstone counters. The color contrast is pleasing, while both materials share the same "earthy" characteristics.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 1:06PM
teachertile

I think soapstone is going to be way too dark. That kitchen is very dark and a light countertop would look best with a light backsplash. IMHO.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 2:52PM
sjhockeyfan325

I also think soapstone will be too dark if you use it everywhere. We had cabinets in our previous house that were dark and used black only on the island, with crema Bordeaux on the perimeter. That worked well.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 3:16PM
Kathy Rivera

I agree soapstone is too dark. The cabinets are black if I'm not mistaken. Soapstone is very dark. It will be too much. Even if you kept the soapstone unoiled so it was grey, it's still too dark a grey for those cabs, IMO.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
marble bathroom counters in ladies room- real life
This marble counter is in the ladies' room basement...
scrappy25
hardware length vs. drawer width..
All, We've figured out which pulls we want for our...
yoda888
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
jomonster8u
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
What does it take to become a kitchen designer?
I know there were posts on the subject several years...
sjerin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™